Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima/ Simplicity Sunstar

SimPete

Spent a very pleasant morning today, with our club president Dave Christensen. He worked on my clutch and got everything in working order. We set the gap @ 18 as previously recommended on this site and everything worked fine until i got it home and mounted the deck (60"). Now i can't get the clutch to engage. Will the load from the deck affect the clutch? should i tighten or loosen the gap. Don't have time to play with it right now. Trying to get it ready to bring to the Brooklyn CT. show. ANY suggestion would be appreciated. I also have the good fortune of a having my next door neighbor who owns the exact same model as mine. Will try to copy cat his settings.(he does not fiddle with his tractor, he has it picked up and serviced). Thanks Nubian

The force of the electro magnet decreases as the square of the distance between the plates. A small adjustment will make a big difference. Try .015" and if the doesnt work try .012". I suspect one of them will work. Dutch is correct. A bad connection will reduce the voltage and create the same result.