Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7790 & 720 Diesel longer axle?????

SmilinSam

As was pointed out to me recently and after looking at it, the 7790 diesel has a longer axle and axle tube( by several inches) than the rest of the hydro units on gas tractors in my corral. Anyone know why?

I don't know why but it is true. When we converted a 7790 Diesel to a 3-speed for pulling I just couldn't believe that the axle tube and axle were longer than the other hydros. Was it for stablity? The diesel shakes so bad maybe Simplicity thought it might flip over (it definitely has enough torque) so it needed a wider stance. Mike S.

I have a notion to put the loader on this tractor with some rear rims off a 3112H(they are deep dished and stick out farther. If I can't get the diesel running, I may go with a gas engine, but I think it is yet fixable.

Sam, I had coincidentally noticed that there were some different transmission part numbers for the 7790/920 than those in my 7100 parts book, but assumed it was some running parts change and also applied to the 7100 Series. BTW, there is a 7790 parts manual on eBay now which you might be interested in. Carl