Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
StinKy

Red Flags

StinKy
Are there any particular problem areas on A/C 620-720 tracs that a potential buyer should pay special attention to BEFORE comitting to a sale? Would like to keep a list of "gremlins" these models might have just in case I come across one Thanks, Dick

Cityboy
Definitely check out the starting and charging systems on the Onan engine. My tractor, a 720, was and is inconsistent in engaging the starter. Sometimes it spins the starter and does not engage the flywheel. Sometimes it continues to turn over even with the key off! Also beware the fuel delivery system if it has the original mechanical fuel pump. They aren't hard to rebuild, but can cause some grief. The points are easy to access, but bad timing or improper point gap really affect performance. I love my 720, and I accept her quirks! Good luck! Dave

Cityboy
It was taken apart and cleaned a year ago this spring when the engine was out of the tractor. A friend of mine did the work, and he told me that it was dirty. I would replace it if it wasn't so expensive. I've also noticed that it happens less frequently if the battery is charged vey well. I plan to go with it until I have to do something else!