Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Intermetent cranking.......

BradW

Hi, I have a 3415H, the problem with it is that it will make a 1 second crank, then return the key to off, then try to start it again and it will continuisly crank until it starts, sometimes it will not crank at all and sometimes it will, I have rewired it, no shorts, new battery and all safety switches check out, I have taken a wire from positive post on battery to starter and it will crank fine. I think it may be the solenoid, is there any way to test it? Any help is much appreciated,-BradW

Brad Take a test jumper and go from thew battery side of the sol. to the small terminal on the sol. this should check to see if the sol. is OK or if yhe trouble is in the power getting to it. Cal

I had a similar problem myself which the problem I had was that the paint job i did on the body prevented the solonoid from getting the ground it needed. I don't know if that is you problem or not. Just keep in mind that inside the solenoid are little points that can get old and burnt in time so they gerenally don't last forever especially when they draw a lot of current like on some of the larger starters

I am starting to wonder if the wrong solenoid is on it, I have the 2 large posts on the ends, but I also have 2 small posts on top, every picture I have seen only shows 1 small post on top, I have 1 of the 2 posts with the proper wire on it, but the other one has no wire on it, if you have a 3314, 3415, or 3416 could you please tell me if your solenoid has 1 or 2 small posts on top? If so I would greatly appreciate that, I will just go to napa and get the correct one. Thank you for you help guy's.-BradW

The solenoid (actually a relay not a solenoid) with two small posts is the kind used on Ford cars. One small post activates (closes) the relay. On Fords, the other small post directs 12 volts to the ignition coil when the relay is closed. If you hook up a hot wire to the wrong small post, nothing will happen. When you hook up a hot wire to the correct small post, the relay will "click" closed (if it's not burned out). For a Simplicity, you don't need a relay with two small posts, but it won't hurt anything. From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like a bad starter switch, loose or corroded wire connection, bad ground, bad solenoid. Since the problem is erratic, I would suspect either the solenoid, or the starter switch.

Thank you for the help on that dutch, I think it is time just to get another solenoid, this machine was a gift to my grandfather and I want to be sure that it works good for him, thanks for the help again guy's,-BradW