Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another 16HP Briggs value question?

THEPATRIOT

A guy i know has a late "70's 16HP cast iron Briggs for sale. It has new rings,connecting rod and bearings in the engine. The carb is rebuilt and it has been test run. SG,and Nelson can muffler are also on it. The guy does quality work and is a good mechanic. I may buy it, just want to get some opinions.

Sounds like a good deal. The only rings and piston available for it nowadays is standard, unless someone has other laying around. YOu might ask how much wear was in the bore when he put new rings in it

I just rebuilt an old 16 Briggs ( 72 model) and got a set of .020 over rings form the local Briggs dealer without any problem. They were actually cheaper than standard size.

quote:Originally posted by MrSteele

Sounds like a good deal. The only rings and piston available for it nowadays is standard, unless someone has other laying around. YOu might ask how much wear was in the bore when he put new rings in it

id="quote">
id="quote"> He said it was all within spec.He rebuilt because it was going into a keeper,but plans changed.

I have a dead 16 sitting in the shop that has a .030 in it already. After a lot of searching online and through my local dealer who finds everything, almost, all I could find was standard, so ..that was the reason for my comment...."unless someone has some laying around"

I checked this morning with my local dealer.....it seems the standard rings are "briggs" stamped which makes them more expensive, while the oversize are made overseas by a third party. He says he can still get pretty much any size....:)

• 2 years later...

Can you get 30 over for the 16hp? sm01

quote:Originally posted by 3314WV

I checked this morning with my local dealer.....it seems the standard rings are "briggs" stamped which makes them more expensive, while the oversize are made overseas by a third party. He says he can still get pretty much any size....:)

id="quote">
id="quote">

To me, it sounds like a steal: IF actually and properly rebuilt. The Nelson muffler and SG are worth the $200, and I'll bet the rings, connecting rod, carb amd gasket rebuild parts are pushin' $200 in costs. A solid rebuilt, to repower, for $200 in any proper large frame simplicity configuration is well worth that number, IMHO.

Of course this assumes it is the real deal.