Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine oil capacity for Briggs 10 hp

Kent

Can anyone tell me the correct amount of engine oil that my 1966 Landlord 101 engine should hold? It is a 10 HP cast iron Briggs. A friend of mine said
1 and 1/2 quarts? This seems to be too much and I don't want to overload the rings on the rebuildt engine. Thanks!

Joe,

Assuming it's a Briggs 243431 (which it should be) the oil capacity is 4 pints, or 2 quarts, per the specs....

Kent

Hi Joe, I also have a 10 hp briggs and it is a 1967 model year. It also has a dipstick to use in checking the oil level. It holds exactly 2 quarts of oil. Even my older 9 hp held just under 2 quarts of oil or so I thought as it didn't have the dipstick and I later found out it also held 2 qts. Hope this helps but in no way does your engine take less then the 2 qts either that I know of. Its better to at least over fill in your case then to underfill. At least put 2qts in it for now and check with others to make sure. But like I said mine with the dipstick holds 2qts exactly or 4 pints which ever works for you best. Best of Luck->jackl-happyjack<--

oil capacity should be 4 pints
You should also use SAE 30 weight SC, SD or MS
detergent oil. You should drain the oil with the
engine warm and change every 25 hours of service
if you want to keep it running for many years to come!
under 40 degrees F SAE 5w-20
under 0 degrees use SAE 10W
Good luck