Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Date of manufacture update.

Woodydel

Well I think I have hit a dead end to determine if my Model 700 is a 59 or 60. The Mfg # is 990168, The Serial # is 10217 and these numbers according to several people are not enough to determine when they made her. I thought the serial number would really determine her age but such is not the case according to Simplicity. All of the attachments with their corresponding model numbers don't help either since they are duplicated in the 59 and 60 model years. The engine serial number is too high being 626060 which unless I am looking up the info wrong could even have been manufactured in 61. So since it can't be proven I decided to think of her as a 1959 Model 700. Thanks for the tips.

Woody, use the engine code #, not the serial #. should be a model#, serial# and code#. first 6 didgits of the code give you yr/mth/date...good luck... MPH

There should be a date stamped into the 3-speed tranny on the right side behind and below the axle tube. You will like likly have to wipe off some oil and grease to see it. Jordan

Jordan, I don't recall for sure but I think my 725 was the one tranny I couldn"t find that # on when I found a 72 on my b112 and checked all 4 I have on the place. wild guess is it was started after 62..MPH

Jordan and MPH, I had a similar situation with my Forward Control Jeep collection. One of our club members stated that the serial numbers for the Jeeps was on the rear of the chassis on top and you would have to take the pickup bed off to find it. The VIN plates are always missing so finding the serial number or VIN was always a challenge because most titles were also missing. I looked for weeks literally and finally at 11:30 at night in the rain with sand paper and WD40 found numbers. It was like looking for the holy grail. I left out details but it was a challenge. Your suggestions are very much appreciated and I will pursue the search for the date where Jordan says it might be. I called Simplicity today and spoke with two interested people about my quest. I do believe my tractor was made in 1960. The engine manufacture date points there, the engine looks original, my mower deck is a 42" only started to be made in 1960 and the serial number is high enough that the people at simplicity think it couldn't have been produced in 1959 even without records to look up for sure. The suggestion to look under the seat proved fruitless and they were made with a plywood base not a steel pan, anyway no numbers were found. So, maybe she is only 41 years old!! All original at that. There is also a mounting bolt under the crankshaft stub also pointing towards a 1960 origin. No matter which way this turns out I'm really enjoying this. Hmm, it's dark out better get the flashlight and WD40 out.

As noted I did use the engine codes, the problem being that it looks like the engine may have been manufactured in 61 outside of the years the tractor should have been built. It is also likely on a tractor this old for the engine to have been replaced sometime in the past. That's why I've been leaning towards paying attention to the tag on the tractor for accuracy. I also didn't trust my implement codes because they were not necessarily bought at the same time as the tractor. I still think that a factory would have kept records somewhere denoting what was done at any point in time but that is just a theory and I have to believe the people at Simplicity know their tractors and related info. Thanks MPH

There was a lot of discussion on here a year or so back about Mod.700/725 dates of mfg.Possibly you could do a search and find it. Does your tractor have a mounting bolt in the center of the grill below the crankshaft stub?As I recall from the previous discussion,the 1959 mod.did not have this bolt. There were other small design changes also as these models evolved. Good luck, Jim

If the factory has the information, they've never shared it nor printed it up and distributed it, to my knowledge. They operate by MFR #, not year of manufacture, much less specific dates.... The only reference I've seen to serial numbers on the "oldies" in their publications is where they were differentiating an early Allis B-10 (9HP) from the later B-10 (10HP).... I also asked their PR department for this information, and they couldn't provide it. They did provide the the Simplicity > Allis/Agco/MF MFR # cross reference, and Del Allen provided the years of manufacture that came from old Allis-Chalmers (Milwaukee, not Port Washington) info, not Simplicity info.... Del and I had to "manually" cross-reference it to the Simplicity info, and create the tables that are currently on the site. It is common for the same tractor to be made over a 2, 3 or even 4 year period with the same MFR #.... To complicate this, dealers often sold "new, old stock" tractors that they had in inventory, or ordered from distributors or the factory. For example, the 1969 AC price sheet linked below shows where in August 69 the dealers could still order new Big Tens (at least '66 models if not '65, B-10s and B-12s (1967 models, and perhaps early '68), B-110s and B-112s (1968 models), in addition to the B-210s and B-212s (1969 models). So, when the tractor was made has no bearning on when it was sold and put into use.... I think they also did not have "model year change-overs" like the automobile manufacturers do. In general, they introduced new models in late fall or early spring, before the spring "rush" but that certainly doesn't seem to always be the case....[A href='http://simpletractors.com/models/b_series/prices/1969_prices.htm']http://simpletractors.com/models/b_series/prices/1969_prices.htm[/a]

Just to put my two cents worth. I have found that in the Simplicity manuals and publications that the Wonder Boy 700 as stamped into the hood emblem was only produced for the model year of 1960 with a Model # of 990168 manual start and 990169 for electric start in 1961 model year the Model # 990168 and 169 again but only stamp a larger 700 in the hood emblems and had a few upgrades. The model year of 1962 was the first year of the 725 which was the Model # 990232 manual start and 990235 electric start. The seat was a two piece and was two tone the steering wheel height was also increased. The 1963 model 725 model # 990269 manual start and 990270 electric start. This was the first year of the pan seat and it was two tone also. The first two years they list the tractor as having a B&S Model 19 7hp however if you do the math 19 cubic inches is 7 1/4 hp. The type #'s for the first two years is 706035 the third year is 706047 and the final year is Model 19D type 0124-02. Between my Father and I we have one of each models all running and ready to go. Hope this helps everyone. Jeff

OK Jeff, I'm confused. From the following info: The Mfg # is 990168, The Serial # is 10217 for the tractor, Type 706035 and code 626060 for the engine, the big 700 Logo, the mounting bolt below the front engine shaft and electric start. What year is it? Just one thing, what happened to 1959 the year they started to make the tractors according to Simplicity today and yesterday?

According to this club's History Page: "The first 4 wheel garden tractor was the 7 horsepower Wonderboy 700, introduced in 1959. The tractor became simply the 700 for 1960 and 1961, to avoid confusion with the rear engine models." Does this add to the confusion..? Did you check with Simplicity's accounting department..? If they still have those records they can tell you when serial #10217 was built, shipped, bought, and when it was paid for. That's one thing the bean counters are good for.

Hey Dutch, that's a good idea. The accounting department probably could help. I think the real problem is that computer records were not being kept at that point in time. I'll see if someone wants to come out of retirement to help me.HaHa. I'll try it tomorrow sometime. Oh yeh, I'm confused. I've been there and done that before.

Jordan, Looked for the date stamp on the transaxle. I was just about to type that the only number I found was a part number. I stopped in mid sentence and took a magnifiying glass back out to look. Was the number stamped onto the painted surface? I see an oval with some characters inside the oval which I can't make out, but adjacent to the oval I see a number 2 as best I can make out. It looks to be stamped on top of the paint. In front of the number 2 is the ONLY spot of flaked off paint on the whole transaxle! Let me know what the numbers look like to you such as whether the numbers were cast in place like the part numbers. Woody