Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 710 Charging Problem

tmerideth

I have purchased an AC 710 with a 10HP Kohler model K241S engine. The tractor is in excellent condition except for the charging system. The ammeter shows a positive charge for about the first 15 to 30 seconds the tractor starts up. Then the needle moves to a slight discharge and usually remains there until the engine is stopped. I have not had the tractor long enough to use it enough to totally drain the battery. But I plan to dismantle and do a thorough restoration this winter. I have a mower and tiller with it. I would appreciate any feedback on this problem. I have an owner's manual on both tractor and engine, but not a repair manual. I think the system uses some sort of "bridge" in the circuit??? Thanks for any help.

Hi, The Kohler charging system is composed of a stator and a set of magnets in the flywheel. The flywheel rotating the magnets around the stator induces energy into the stator. with the engine wide open if you remove the connector from the regulator rectifier and measure the AC [important AC] voltage across the two wires coming out behind the blower housing you should see 22 to 30 volts AC. If you have this the magnets and stator are good. Then shut off the engine and reconnect the regulator rectifier. Then turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on the third terminal. You should have 12 volts DC from the battery. If you start the engine and rev it up this voltage should go up to 12,6 to 14.6 volts depending on how much the battery is discharged and the capacity of the alternator system you have. If it does not go up the regulator-rectifier is probalby bad The regulator assembly has a diode bridge in it that rectifys the AC and converts it to a pulsating DC. This voltage it high enough that the regulator part can convert this to about 14 volts. This voltage will charge the battery. If the battery is low or you have a load on the battery it may be lower because the load may exceed the current capacity of the alternator. This will cause the output to be closer to 12 volts. HOpe this helps, if it is confusing hollar and I'll try to make is a little clearer. Good luck, AL

Does your 710 have lights? What happens when you turn on the lights? If it discharges when the engine is not running with the lights on the ammeter is reading OK. If you turn on the lights with the engine running you should see the ammeter jump up (+). Good Luck! Mike S.

Thanks to both Al and MPH. I will use this information and see if I can troubleshoot the charging system. Thanks very much.

If your engine fires right up maybe your not draining your battery very much, might try pulling plug wires and crank it a little longer just to see if it charges longer..maybe a 2 cent thought..MPH