Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 23 Briggs Engine

LesH

I am working on a Model 23 Briggs engine off of an AC B10. Does anyone have any tips/ advice about the float style carburetor on this one as far as quirks it may have?? Thanks

See link below. Whenever mine acts up (2 x per year) I "fix" it by blowing air through the jets, spray it with carb cleaner, and tap it with a small plastic mallet. Haven't had to take it apart yet.[A href='http://www.perr.com/tip9.html']http://www.perr.com/tip9.html[/a]

Geez, I thought they were suppose to leak all your gas out if you don't use the shut-off valve, all 4 of my ole briggs do. hmmmm another winter project, well, mayBe next winter..MPH

I rebuilt my carb using the tips herb put a link to. They worked for me and I would say my carb was about as bad as they get. I would also sugest if needed Briggs and Stratton sells the tap to clean out the main nozzle threads. It is a odd ball size 5/16 32. They also sell a special 4 sided screwdriver that is used to remove that nozzle. I have both and used them with success. Good luck, Al

Marty, I had a Flo Jet that won't stop leaking even after I tapped with my small plastic mallet. I figured it was some dirt or rust in the needle valve. The engine ran so nice I didn't want to take the carb apart. It understood what I wanted after a couple of good smacks with a 2lb. hand sledge. Still runs great and hasn't leaked since last winter. Not recommended for the faint of heart, or if you don't have a replacement carb handy (just in case).

Yup, inline shut off valve is a must fer those critters, BUT only other problem I've had was a leaking float & a dab of that little miracle called J-B Weld fixed it good. Those old carbs are simplicity in themselves, not much to fear in tearing them down. Dick

I doan't know Herb, I pack a 24oz hammer all day, my taps with it seem a bit severe for my carbs, I'll claim faint of heart on this one..MPH