Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

was this made by simplicity

tman

Found an old tractor that says grant ont the hood the hood is fiberglass and the motor is missing someone made it into a downhill cart on the rear plate it says rugg manafacturing. thanks for help in advance

My Dad has what is left of a Rugg, it was not made by Simplicity, as I recall it said Rugg Cut on the side and was made by Rugg MFG. I can look at it the next time I visit him for more info.

I have a Rugg Carpet Cut 5 HP mower. My tractor has the fiberglass hood and grill, but most I've seen have metal. My tractor was made in 1968, by the Rugg Corp. in Newark, Ohio.

When I worked in the industry for Huffy/Turfmaster in the 70's, Rugg was one of our competitors. They made a fairly low line discount house line of equipment like we did. The "Grant" name was undoubtedly a private label for W. T. Grant which went out of business years ago. We tried to sell private label to them, but they must have been buying from Rugg. They never made the conversion to discount store merchandising as did S.S. Kresge - K-Mart, F. W. Woolworth - Woolco (now also out of business).