Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Non-tractor: The odds are against them...

Kent

I find these “words” and “statistics” offensive, and an insult to the memory of the innocent victims. Should the families of the victims look at the big picture..? Why just twist the “statistics by comparing the 5000 slaughtered to only 74,280 “potential” victims. The terrorists continue to say they want to kill every of the 290,000,000 Americans. If the “statistics” are twisted a little more, 5000 is merely a drop in the bucket….. hardly worth mentioning. How would it be if the Defense Department sent a letter to the mother of the first soldier killed in this campaign saying, “We regret to inform you,. . . However, your son was only one member of an army. . . Therefore, we consider the Army lucky, thankful, and fortunate that your son was the only casualty." Sorry, I’m not a touchy feely person. I’m too damn mad to be inclined to “look at the other side.”

Herb, I apologize if you are offended by this message -- it certainly was not intended to offend you. I saw it as words of reassurance for the majority of us who witnessed it, not for those personally touched by it. It is not intended to downplay the gravity of what happened, but it directed toward those going out and buying gas masks, and the like. Statistically, the chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are MUCH LESS than being killed by a drunk driver, for example. When you look at a personal level, it has a totally different perspective. Children lost the ONLY mother or father they had, spouses lost their ONLY mate, etc. The most unpleasant part of my job is responsibility for casualty notification for all services within a large geographic portion of central New England. It certainly is heartbreaking to walk up a sidewalk in "Dress Blues", accompanied by a chaplain, ring the doorbell, and tell a father, mother, or spouse -- "I'm sorry. I regret to inform you..." Since about the time of Korea, every attempt is made to tell them face to face.... I've done a few harder things in my life, but I can count all of them on one hand.... Shall I delete the message thread? Kent

Keep the message Kent, I personally think it was a good post, it is a very bad thing for what happend a month ago today, BUT it is a good thing there aren't as many fatalities as they thought there would be, 1 is too many, but 93% still alive is a very good thing, I personally like to see "constructive" posts like this, thanks Kent,-BradW

I've lived my entire life with an idea that no matter what horrible things happen to you that there is a balancing good that will come out of those things that torment us. The past month I have had an extremely hard time adhering to that philosophy. I'm still searching for the good that is to come from this bad time in our lives. Where I live on Long Island we have a newspaper called Newsday which I read at lunchtime. Since the attack they have devoted 6 pages each day at the front of the paper towards telling the individual stories and pictures of those murdered in the WTC. I still have to hold back the tears even now.

Kent, Please don’t delete this thread. Even though the above sugar coats and trivializes a very tragic event, I think it is beneficial to discuss these issues. I’m certain there are those who are living in fear of another terrorist attack. However, I really don’t know of anyone who is afraid to fly or who owns a gas mask. Like Sam, my family and I believe in God’s will. That is not to mean we believe we can sit idly and put our fate in God’s hands. We believe we must fight the battle and pray for God’s guidance. While I may not understand them, I have absolutely no problem with a few of my fellow Americans who find comfort in twisted logic and statistics, or who say we should shower hugs, and kisses, and understanding on those who are threatening to kill us. My problem is with those same people trying to prevent others from flying the American Flag, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and saying God Bless America. Those things give me and many others comfort. Your initial post uses words and terms that could further soften already weak minds. To me “Deplorable Acts” could mean stealing candy from a baby, or tripping a blind person. I view killing over 5000 innocent men, women, and children as more than a deplorable act or “minor collateral losses”. It is an Act of War..! Were the terrorists “Inept Cowards”..? I don’t think I know anyone capable of orchestrating the simultaneous hijacking of three airliners. Why is flying to death heroic for those brave passengers on flight 93 and an act of cowardice for the terrorists..? Sorry, that logic just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe some people just need to be fooled into believing our “opposition” are nothing but “inept cowards.” The fact is, these monsters are our enemies and they are sinister, devious, ruthless, merciless, murderous, fanatics. That is a very frightening description, and it should be.

I prefer to look at those statistics as evidence of fate, or The Hand of God as I see it, restraining the zealous efforts of our enemies from a much more disasterous victory. This can also be seen in the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japaneese in 1941. As fate (the Hand of God) may have it, the carriers were not in port on that morning and the fuel supplies were not touched. Had they been, our cause may have been indeed lost from the beginning. Is that comforting to the victums or those directly involved, no I doubt it. I doubt that helped my dads uncle who watched all his buddies run into a hanger on Hickam field only to see a jap plane crash into it and explode moments later killing them all. But, different people willl see different things in regards to all and any of this. Fate or God, whichever you prefer to look at it as, takes us all in different directions to do different things. Mourning is healthy and it is important to keep memories alive, but we all need to pick up the memories and carry them with us into tomorrow, rather than sit by the wayside pondering them aimlessly. People need to lift themselves up and SEE the BIG PICTURE as best they can. Thats the only way to find direction and move on with the tasks at hand. I vote to leave the message intact. No offense Dutch.

Please leave the post. I agree with SmilinSam. My read of it in no way trivializes either the Act or the Effect, but puts into perspective the scale of what could have happened, but for fate, of course, and the enduring fortitude and amazing capability of the individual American human spirit. I have a lot of thoughts as I am reading this thread and I am putting them down.I think when I read this, not as much how vile the individual acts were, but(along with the other remarkable stories of survival, assistance and selflessnes)how much of a failure that this Act will ultimately be regarded in History. (President Bush put it more eloquently than me just this evening.) The purpose was clear- to shock us into capitulation by demoralizing the American spirit--did that happen? read the transcript tomorrow of what was answered tonight. Look at the Dow and NASDAQ tomorrow. Look at the $ donated from every corner of this country. Look in the history books --not accounts of the wars we've fought, BUT the History of the American PEOPLE AND SPIRIT. This country didn't become the way it is, either with its faults or greatnesses because of flying our flag, reciting our pledge, or even saying a prayer before school.History. OUR, ) history has Never shown us to be flag wavers or pumped up patriots (frankly, our founding fathers were tired of being treated shabbily by King George,thus the revolution the last thing originally on their minds was the formation of a country). We go about our individual business, consumed by our individual interests and fractured by our diverse views beliefs and ethicity. We are gentle giants slow to anger and long on debate (it took 80+years for the debate on states rights and slavery to break into fight) However, when the cause becomes catalyzed we somehow reach into that depth of spirt and we unify, we act, and then we forgive--as we will also here. Look at who two of our strongest allies are in this fight-Germany and Japan-- What I see from that post is a crystal clear message to ALL of us--without denegrating the lives lost, that in lives lost verses what could have been--they failed. Even more clear, the magnitude of this attack must fail because we CANNOT keep looking at this paralyzing our or stopping our ability to live work or travel in this country without fear--based on our shock at the #'s Were they cowards-- as a kid- ever have a kid come up from behind and hit you and run away? same principle and I remind you again this "declaration" unlike Pearl Harbor was on unarmed civilians. To me that fits the word coward- their goal of jihad backfired, yep--inept coward. Yes it is WAR no less a just cause that WWII, but also no different in American patriotism or will--or diversity or divisiveness or dissent that existed on December 6, 1941, or for that matter on Jan 8, 1942.

KENT. I"''M JUST GLAD IT WAS NOT MY DAUGHTER ON THE LIST OF CASULTIES........SHE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE BY THE GRACE ?? OF GOD.SHE WAS NOT?

Sorry to all for the previous rambling post.-- My best friend was slated to be in that part of the Pentagon and because of that fate and those statistics I am relishing each day he and his wife(on the Metro At the pentagon Station that day and time) are still here-not to mention the work he has done for the rest of us since. My take is the same as Kent's--this country needs some positive statistics regarding what WASN'T accomplished that day in order to continue on without panic and breaking of our spirit and resolve. This is a NEW conflict that goes beyond conventional battle, and sabre rattling. The real patriotism needed from this type of threat on us is a quiet resolve to place this in perspective as a threat but NOT an impediment on the very freedom to move without fear. Every one of those "empty seats" and every one of those 90% that got out represent living and breathing Americans that I am sure personify in that many more individuals the unity of spirit that will ultimately overcome fanaticism of any sort. To have it inferred that somehow attempting to report on how we survived trivializes the act I know cannot be any soldier's intent. I did not see it that way---unfortunately I think the vehement response somehow was the exact circumstance that the post was trying to diffuse.

As Paul Harvey would say, "... the rest of the story ..." --------------------------------------------------------- By now everyone has been hearing the death toll rise and reports of the destruction from the terrorist attacks on the US. These were deplorable acts that we will never forget. But now is a time to look at the other side of the numbers coming out of New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. The sad but somewhat uplifting side that the mainstream media has not reported yet - the SURVIVAL rates and some positive news about the attacks. *** The Buildings *** * The World Trade Center - The twin towers of the World Trade Center were places of employment for some 50,000 people. With the missing list of just over 5,000 people, that means 90% of the people targeted survived the attack. A 90% on a test is an 'A'. * The Pentagon - Some 23,000 people were the target of a third plane aimed at the Pentagon. The latest count shows that only 123 lost their lives. That is an amazing 99.5% survival rate. in addition, the plane seems to have come in too low, too early to affect a large portion of the building. On top of that, the section that was hit was the first of five sections to undergo renovations that would help protect the Pentagon from terrorist attacks. It had recently completed straightening and blast proofing, saving untold lives. This attack was sad, but a statistical failure. *** The Planes *** * American Airlines Flight 77 This Boeing 757 that was flown into the outside of the Pentagon could have carried up to 289 people, yet only 64 were aboard. Luckily 78% of the seats were empty. * American Airlines Flight 11 This Boeing 767 could have had up to 351 people aboard, but only carried 92. Thankfully 74% of the seats were unfilled. * United Airlines Flight 175 Another Boeing 767 that could have sat 351 people only had 65 people on board. Fortunately it was 81% empty. * United Airlines Flight 93 This Boeing 757 was one of the most uplifting stories yet. The smallest flight to be hijacked with only 45 people aboard out of a possible 289 had 84% of its capacity unused. Yet these people stood up to the attackers and thwarted a fourth attempted destruction of a national landmark, saving untold numbers of lives in the process. *** In Summary *** Out of potentially 74,280 Americans directly targeted by these inept cowards, 93% survived or avoided the attacks. That's a higher survival rate than heart attacks, breast cancer, kidney transplants and liver transplants - all common, survivable illnesses. The Hijacked planes were mostly empty, the Pentagon was hit at it's strongest point, the overwhelming majority of people in the World Trade Center buildings escaped, and a handful of passengers gave the ultimate sacrifice to save even more lives. Pass this information on to those in fear and the media. Don't fear these terrorists. The odds are against them.

I am not a guest. I am Stan Somers, member. Email: n1nni@tds.net Wrap the enemy's consciousness in death, destruction, and funeral following funeral and you destroy his moral (both military and civilian). Keep up this bombardment and a soldier's reflex will be a little slower during the next ambush. There will be less support from the home folks. Deny their army any positive news and they'll probably forget that the way to win a war is to convince the OTHER SOB to die for HIS country. Give up, wallow in the deaths of those who have gone before and you'll soon join them. War is a nasty business and if you don't do it right you won't have to worry about anything again, ever. I've seen too many "buddies" with the Thousand Yard Stare to NOT give this lecture and would be happy to give it again everyday for the duration if it could save just one soldier... or civilian. Without civilian moral the populace will simply start spitting on it's own military. There's another story. S. I can go one more war, call me back - spitting or not.