Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

special orders??????

johnsup

Now, I hate to bother you guys, but what is a special order part???? I screwed up last week and ordered a part for my Dad's snowblower and inadvertently gave the wrong ID #. So upon receiving the part I tried putting it on and it did not fit.So I did a little research and found the right pulley.And today I went to the dealer and he said I could not return the 41.00 pulley and that I would have to "eat it". He stated that Simplicity did not like to deal with returns,but all I want to know is, what is Special Order? To me this was not a special order part, but to him, it must be... Thanks, John

John, sounds to me like you just have a lazy dealership, they will accept returns, believe me, when I worked at the Simplcity dealer during the summer we had alot of returns, what is sounds like to me is contact Simplicity, they would be more than happy to resolve your problem, and another thing, if you want to save money, go to a farm&fleet, I got a hub and a pulley for under 10 bucks, had my neighbor weld it, in the which he did it for free, and saved alot of moolah over what the Simplicity pulley cost, and in my opinion there is no difference, good luck,-BradW

My Simplicity dealer, Merkamps, has never charged me a restocking fee for returns. Even for parts I know he will probably not re-sell for a long time. The local AGCO dealer, on the other hand, is a different story. Those suckers made me pay up front for an order, then when the part was wrong (an exhaust elbow that was a 1/2" too short) the SOB's charged me a 20% restocking fee. They also didn't even have a condenser for a Kohler K341 in stock - what a joke. The Simplicity dealer has never made me pay up front and has even offered to extend me credit on a few occasions, although I haven't taken them up on it. For those who live near Richmond, IN, the AGCO dealer I will never deal with again is located near Centerville if you're wondering. Brent

my Simplicity Dealer here has a certain period of time to send his parts back for credit that do not get picked up so I don't know what the restocking fees are all about or the refusal to take returns on ordered parts unless its just an underhanded means of making a few bucks and refusing to deal with paperwork. Most of those dealers re the big guys, probably why I prefer to shop the little shops in the small towns.

Being all dealers are independent, they make their own rules. "Special Order" would mean a non-stocking part, which will vary from dealer to dealer depending on how long they have been in business and what models are most popular for them. Generally they would have common wear items for models they have sold. When dealing with someone new to you it would be good to ask for their policies beforehand. Please understand that it is expensive to have parts sitting on the shelf and a restocking or handling charge is usually done as a necessity, not out of desire. Also having the correct parts manual handy helps avoid "wrong part" situations. No - I'm not in publications. At least if you get stuck with the part John you have a good place to try and resell it thanks to Kent! :)

This was a case of: I gave the wrong id # of the blower..... I got the pulley and wow it will not fit, the blower is a little bit different than the one I gave the number for. Jeff, do you need a 7" pulley for a 1690169 blower attachment ?? Thanks everyone for advice/ answers !!!!!!!! I have learned.... and I admit to this being my fault.....