Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulics

tej

Is there a hydraulic engineer in the club? I have some general questions on hydraulics.

The pump and oil reservoir on the L10 loader are sized for controlling two single acting cylinders. If I change the lift cylinders to double acting cylinders will this cause a need for more reserve oil or since oil will be pumped into both halves of the double acting cylinder will this negate the need for a larger reserve or even lessen the need for reserve oil .

Putting a double acting cylinder on the bucket will be adding a cylinder and control valve into the loader hydraulic system. Again since this is double acting the oil will be moved from one side of the cylinder to the other creating little need for additional oil reserve.

Will the pump have the GPM to handle three double acting cylinders?

To put the cylinder on the bucket I will have to move the pump from being direct coupled to the front PTO to being belt driven as I will have to cut the front part of the loader frame off, as on the L12 loader. If I speed the pump up by putting a larger pulley on the PTO than on the pump will that increase the GPM of the pump or would it be over driving the pump rating.

How difficult is it to bleed a hydraulic system. The only part reused will be the pump. All the cylinders, control valves, and most of the hoses will be new.

Your knowledge and advise will be most welcomed.

Tim

Tim, Yes if ....

1. Use only orginal size jacks.
2. Use only one jack at a time.
3. Increase the size of one pulley by 10% to help over come belt friction and slippage loss. example: Pulley #1=5" dia. #2= 5.5".
4. Use a larger or 2nd external oil cooler to overcome the large increase of heat built up with the extra work of moving all those jacks.
5. Orginal tractor system has a 20% built in reserve capicity or you added extra capicity with larger engine etc.
6. Oil is added as needed when exercising all the jacks (with no load) one at a time to work out the air.
Long time since I exercised my mind in that direction. I hope I haven't forgotten anything (but most likely have).

Good luck, Stan

I agree, It shouldn't make a lot of difference, If you are trying to operate 2 valves at once it will be slower at this time. Usually the air will work istself out fairly quickly. If you have to move the pump, it might be feasible to drive it like the hyd lift does or drive it off the left side of the cross drive to free up front space. If this is a loader tractor and you don't mow with it tucking it where the PTO is might work. Sounds like a fun project to me. Onward, AL

Stan & Al, Thanks for the responses to my questions. This tractor will be a loader tractor only.
It's a B10 that I'm putting a 14hp Briggs on. I intend to make any modifications to it that will
improve it's performance as a loader tractor. The L12 loader mounts the pump on the loader
frame and drives it via pulley off the front PTO. If the L10 pump with the oil reserve on top will
fit between the loader arm and the tractor I will mount it there. One other option would be to
use two cylinders on the bucket and mount them on top of the lift arms Bolens style. No
modifications to the loader frame would be required doing it this way but it would add the cost
of another cylinder. I'm also trying to figure out a better steering system and with no center
mounted attachments I may be able to put an automotive steering box under the tractor.
Checking prices in Northern it looks like the hydraulics will cost about $500.00, that's still
cheaper than buying another loader. To be useful the loader needs these modifications, with
the dump bucket and single acting lift cylinders it just a toy. I also intend to use the tiller for the
counter weight instead of the weight box. Having said all that I would welcome any ideas on
steering or loader modification that you may have. Tim

Tim

The number 1 alteration for any bucket is to weld a chain hook to it. Within 5 minutes you should think of 10 great things you can do with this wounderful setup. Ferinstance, when the top link breaks and the tiller falls off you can still carry it home on a chain.

Stan

Stan, Good idea, I have used the loader many times with a chain around the bucket to lift various things. Tim