Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Put it off too long??

MPH

Welp Herb, did I put off getting ready for winter long enough for membership in your other club??Fact is, yesterday I used it about 3 hours cleaning up after 2 hours wrk I had done with a 656 JD loader moving a semi-van I have in my yard. the way the birds been honkin for the passin lane the past two days i stayed outside til midnite getting the axles from under it and setting it down on blocks, sure glad I did, by noon we had a good 9 inches, so I dropped the rake and put the snow blower on til spring. the lug tires did ok cept for the fact of being 2inches wider than the blower, nice not havin chains on though. three hours later I caught a root in the newly turned dirt and smoked the belt. Sure would like to come up with a slip-clutch pulley like old combines and corn pickers had, for my front pulley. anyone heard of such a thing with a 1in shaft and bout 4 inch dia.????MPH http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1642272&a=12566023&p=55156591

Geeze Marty I hope I'm still at least a month away from that chilling scene, tho I've heard this winter is going to be nasty compared to the last couple. By the way the Landlord pushes dirt I don't think snow will pose much of a challenge. I have plenty of storage room at the end of driveway so the pile the plow makes won't be a problem. Made & installed solid lead wheel weights, loaded ag tires & chains. Still need to install block heater for those cold start-ups. Hey, ever give thought to coming back down to the lower 48 when the white stuff starts falling up there?? It's for sure you've seen your last dandelion for this year!!!!!

One question! What the heck is all that on your tractor? Dust? Oh, my wife tells me its something called snow. Don't get that stuff down here in south Louisiana much. Last time was 1989!!! My 6216 will never see a snowblower attached to her! Good luck, Kevin

jeeze Marty, it was 70 and sunny with peak foliage here in New england. Although my buddy was camping in the white Mountains in N.H. a few days back and the got snow.I guess it's time too get the plows and blowers ready.

Gads! I don't need to think of that picture yet. I have some more mowing to do. Once more then the winter prep can begin. One year I waited too late. The night the weather man said 6 inches of snow I had to race out in the shed and was up til 2:00am getting my stuff ready. I don't like rushing myself like that. I have a friend that bought a couple of old school buses for $50 and towed them in and dropped them on blocks for shed space. He stores spare parts and can fit up to Broadmoor size tractors through the door. Seems to work for him. SmilinSam

Here in New Jersey it was 80 yesterday (too hot for me). I like it between 40 & 60. My wife starts shivering at 72. Marty, if you were a real procrastinator you wouldn't even start thinking about snow removal until next spring.

DOH !!!!! I'm not ready for this !!! I hope this was just a fluke - I need a couple of more months before I want to put my blower on. Steve

Wow, you had 9 inches of snow, I had 9 inches of rain! Out here the creek flooded over for the first time in 3 years, got 4 inches at grandparents hosuse today alone! Oh Well, I just sold all my snow removal equipment, back to a farm tractor and snowblade I just bought, hopefully a little faster!-BradW

Herb, before I got into this ole iron I didn't even think about snow removal, I just drove through it except for a few times when I had to shovel my 250 foot drive. now I blow it outta my way just because I can, in places I really don;t even need to. Steve, this ain;t no fluke, I'll see this snow next may when the rest melts off the top. Dick, be careful piling up snow, first year I had the 725 with blade only I piled snow about 5 foot high by rampping up the front side, what a kick, til I dropped the front tires over one time and had to digg it out. OOPPPPssss mMPH