Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Axle Cracks

JeffN

Today I noticed a few hairline cracks on one of the front axle tubes of my 728. Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I try some JBWeld on the cracks? Is this common on the 728's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cracks usually get worse. I would be concerned. I wouldn't use JB Weld or any other epoxy. Get the cracks repaired by welding.

Hi Jeff, I have a neighbor with a 738 (1974?) and last year the front left axle folded right up. He brought it to a welding shop and had it fixed up for about $ 40.00. Nothing out of a tube is going to fix it. Good luck .... John(ri) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Great to see you back Jack! You've been gone for a while - so - you best start pounding those keys!

First off hello to everyone, Dutch is really write if you don't get these cracks welded a.s.a.p they will not only get worse but the longer you wait to get them welded the more risk of the whole front wheel assembly breaking off on either side. This is a common problem at least from what I have seen. If after the cracks are welded you can grind the welds down smooth so as to have a better appearence but would be stronger not doing so. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

Prvious to welding, drill a hole at the end of each crack if it hasn't yet cracked all the way accross housing. Then weld them. This stops the crack from continuing ahead of your weld.