Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anybody familiar with Gravely 4 wheel tractors?

arnoldir

A few years ago I had a Gravely 812G tractor. 12 horse Kohler 50 inch mower with hydraulic lift. That thing was built like a tank. Bought it used and used it to mow 3 acres. The wear items that I know about are the clutch packs for forward and reverse. Had it for 5 years and replaced the mower belt, the idler pulley for the mower belt,the starter gear and the exhaust valve. I would still have it if the ex did'nt get that too. LOL

I just lucked into a Gravely 8123 with mower deck and 2 stage snow blower, FOR FREE !!! Machine has 4 speeds + High / Low + Shttle (Forward/Reverse in each gear), Hydro lift, K301 Kohler. Machine has engine in rear, big iron gearbox, and shaft drive to the mower and blower. Anybody know where the problem areas might be ? Any info appreciated.

I know two guys that own Gravelys. Their only complaint is that they last forever. If you don't like it maybe you can get what you paid back.

I met a guy who says a real bad problem is if you back it into something you RIP all the fins of the flywheel,Well designed huh?.,,

Thanks for the responses guys. My first impression was that I should put wheely bars on it and call it the little red wagon (mid 60's NHRA Wheelstanding Dodge pickup with hemi in the bed). On closer inspection, looks like the last owner had the same idea cause the frame has been cracked clean off on one side and welded back together. I already put my 26"x12"x12" tires on it, so hopefully I'll get it running this weekend and see what kind of hang time it can get.

Roger, These things are tanks, though I've never owned one. If it hadn't sold before I could get back with my checkbook, I would have bought an old 434 instead of my first Allis... I saw it at lunch at a local Toro dealer (it was a trade-in), but before I could get back that afternoon after work, it was sold. I also went to look at the only other used one I found for sale in a reasonable distance (up in the edge of New Hampshire) but it was worn completely out.... I know a guy that has one of these with a Johnson loader on it -- what a nice rig! With the engine out back, he doesn't even need a weight box on it. The real disadvantage is that they don't take rear attachments very well, even if you could fabricate a hitch... with a moldboard plow you'd be pulling wheelies all the time! I guess you guys are lucky that the one at the Toro dealer sold so fast, or there may never have been a Simple trACtors.... Kent

Hello Kent, Any chance you could get some photos of the loader mounting, sounds like a good platform for a homebuilt loader.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures the next time I'm out at his house -- he's over an hour west of me....