Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sim 700

Al

After being all over this site, and reading many posts here, I haven't seen anything about a Simplicity 700. Or do all 700 series (720 etc) have a 700 badge.

The reason I'm asking is that I've just found one. Seems to be in good condition. Oh great. First Volkswagens (18 of em), now I'm gonna start collecting garden tractors? Perhaps if I explain to my wife that my hobbies could have been beer and football :o)

Bruce, The only 700 Simplicity ever made was their 1st front eng. garden tractor circa 1961. It was a 7 HP affair AC however made a 700 series in the mid 70's,med. frame and a 700 in the mid 70's large frame. Hope this clears it up a little for you. Those AC's of course came in all sorts of HPs sizes and transmission configurations. dlc

Bruce,

The 700 was the original 4-wheel garden tractor from Simplicity. It was available as early as late 1959. Simplicity called it the 700 Wonderboy to differentiate it from the other Wonderboy riders (trivia: Wonderboy happened to be the childhood nickname for Mr Niederkorn, company founder and president, though he "bought" the Simplicity name from a defunct farm tractor company he worked for)

I don't have any color pictures of it, only a parts/owners manual with line drawings. That's why there's no stuff on it in the Simplicity section yet. It did not have an AC equivalent, so it's not listed in the cross-reference. It is identical, as far as I can tell, to the 725 with the exception that it has only 7 instead of 7.25 HP, though technical specs on the engine (bore, stroke) look the same. It must have been a difference in carburetion, valve size, compression, or other minor tweaks that made the HP difference.... Check out the 725 and you're essentially looking at the same tractor....

Someday, I hope to add a brief history section that documents all this....

BTW, I too started with VWs (still have a '53 Deluxe bug and a '64 steel sunroof bug). I was attracted to Simplicity and ACs due to many of the same reasons -- simple, rugged, understandable, and well-tested engineering/design that evolved only when there was a real reason for it -- not changed just to "introduce something new".....

Kent

HI THERE, I have a parts manual for a model 700 send me an E-mail of what info you need and I will try to help with the part numbers etc..JBLACK