Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NRA members not welcome in Canada ??

SmilinSam

Full automatic weapons have been tightly regulated since the 1930's. A law abiding citizen can legally own one but there is a lot of red tape and money involved to obtain a class 3 federal firearms lisence. The criminals on the other hand don't get any lisence. Thus they are breaking the law, which is the definition of a criminal. As they old saying goes: when they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

Been NRA life member since Mar. 26 1981 and my dad was before me. I've had to defend the NRA lots of times in the past 20 or so years. Guess I won't be going to Canada none too soon but really havent a great desire to do so anyhow. The real shame of it all is the millions of average, middle of the road Americans who go to work all week and church on Sunday, donate time to charities & school functions and are villified because they own a few firearms- - -go figure. Dick

Case in point, "only outlaws will have guns", the last time I read about England I think crime had skyrocketed since the grabbed up all the guns there. Funny how you don't here those statistics on the evening news, and also it was a sportsman show not a news show where the information I got was reported. I really think all the major TV media folks , the owners, and boards of directors, Ted Turner and a few more need to take a look at that "Special Offer" of Kents and pile on board behind Captain Bill and shove off to parts unknown...................................................

OK Dutch, I'll stir. A co worker was watching one of those news shows last weekend and saw where a person visiting Canada was at the border when the guard noticed a NRA sticker in his window. He was ordered out of the vehicle and his vehicle was completely emptied out and gone over and he himself thoroughly searched for guns. One of the border gaurds then told him that "you NRA types are not welcome here". Following that spin, another report showed where Wayne LaPierre, NRA executive vice president was travaling into Canada ina rental car with no stickers and was recognized by a guard and subsequentally stopped , ordered out of the vehicle and went through the same gruelling search. So, you all see where gun registration and villifacation law abiding gun owners leads. Just ask your neigbors in England, Austrailia, and Canada. I'm sure they can tell you, that is if the still have the freedomn to speak about it.

There is a basic difference in that while in the US you have a right to bear arms, in Canada it is a privilege. Not everyone can or should have firearms. That said, it is probably easier for the criminal element to obtain and use weapons, without registration. I personally would be happy to see any US club member in Toronto and I know that includes plenty of NRA members. A problem with civil servants anywhere that have any power over individuals is their ability to use that power for their personal agendas. It is unfortunate that many of them with such agendas are employed at border crossings and most of them show no evidence of a sense of humour.

So the right of self defense, to meet aggressors with equal force, is a privilege to some? That comment alone is seriously flawed. I guess I'm just a hardcore American...

I agree whole-heartedly. It's our assurance of freedom, and it is fundamental to freedom. As far a the full auto issue goes, it would be hard to get our freedom back from an oppressive government body (or any other body, for that matter) if we couldn't meet their force with equal force. If our government agents can carry full auto, so should the people.

It's not just self-defense, IMO. We had just successfully rebelled against King George (Canada never did.)... The 1st amendment was intended as a "safety valve of last resort." Should we ever get so fed up with our OWN government, we have been granted an inherent right to try to take it back, and try a new form of government all over again.... This is where I personally start having my own "grey areas" regarding the 1st amendment. I believe strongly in the right to keep and bear arms, though I do not have one of my own in the house. This interpretation (and it is an interpretation) doesn't limit the individual to just hunting rifles/shotguns or pistols for self-defense -- yet I must admit that I don't want the "crazies" in our society to have fully-automatic weapons.... I'm not sure what the answer is to that one. IMO, some things should clearly be off the market, like "cop-killer" bullets, but I'm still pondering the fully-automatic issue...

im a canadian i all so did every thing in my power to fight billc68 as did millions of others :: the problem we had was :: the city folks take over they have more people per square mile !that means more votes :and our government: used underhanded methods to push this bill through;] NRA members should feel welcome here, im gona wright my mp and find out how much of this is going on !! we have a great country to so come visit !!!