Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone used POR-15 paint and products?

Kent

I know someone who primered his truck with it and never painted it with anything and that was 7 years ago and it is still solid.... Good chemicals!

Saw this link, and it looks like they have some good stuff, including Hardnose brand paint in Orange and Yellow, or gas tank restoration kits... I ordered a free catalog....[A href='http://www.por15.com/']http://www.por15.com/[/a]

Kent, The POR-15 "Paint Over Rust" product is without a doubt the best material of this type that I have ever used. I also use the "Metal Ready" etch as a surface prep, although it is not necessary. Just did the fuel tank on the moto-mower I brought to the show. 2 coats of POR filled all the pits on the exterior bottom, and will prevent any future leaks . The best feature of POR-15 is that it dries to an abraision resistant yet slightly flexible coating with very high adhesion. I have used it with fiberglass mat to repair holes in the floor of my truck as large as 12"x12" and it is as strong as using regular resin, but will not crack like resin will. 8 years later the repairs are still strong. You can also use it with glass cloth in a mold to make very strong brackets, wheel flares, you name it, all with no mixing of components like polyester or epoxy. Follow their instructions, particularly about not getting it on your skin. Once dry, it takes 5-7 days to wear off. I have not used their top coat products, but have used their primer to get automotive primer surfacer to stick with good results. For tractor use, I'd recommend you buy the 6-pack of small containers. a properly resealed quart will keep for about 1 year on the shelf, but if you do not use plastic wrap under the lid and got ANY in the grove, you will never get the top off.