Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ug bad bore

ka9bxg

I am by no means a expert at anything but I have heard of boring and sleeving but you may be out the same amount of money. Shop around. Next comment please. Scott

I took apart the 3212 and was hoping to just stick in a set of rings and go.But bad bore and broken ring.I discovered that I need the engine bored, price not bad But the piston is another story $120 for a .30 over piston.I can get a complete set of pistons rings and a gasket set for a 350 chevy for less.I might end up buying a different engine for that.Well I will think about it for a while.Bob

A friend just had his 16hp Briggs redone for his B212. He took the shrouding off from the engine, carb, exhaust, etc. and gave the rebuilder the assemebled block. $300 and a week later he got the assembled block back with reground crank, bored .0010, new piston, rod, rings, reground valves and seats and even fixed the (helicoiled) the spark plug threads. Just a comparison, but I know the same work on a Kohler would be higher. Good Luck! Mike S.

I REBUILT A BRIGGS OUT OF A 2012. FROM THE PISTON, RINGS, ROD, CAM, VALVES, SEATS, IGNIT PARTS, AND CARB KIT PLUS MACHINE WORK FOR $780.00. IT WAS THE BEST INVESTMENT I MADE. I WOULD RATHER DO THAT EVERY 30 YEARS THAN TO BUY A THROW AWAY X-BRAND MOWER EVERY YEAR. BIMM

I would like to add my 2 cents. If the piston is not cracked or melted, and you have bore clearance that is just beyond spec, you can glass bead the piston to increase it's diameter by a few thousandths. Then get a set of 1st over rings and file the ends down to set the end gap in the cylinder. I was taught this trick by an engine rebuilding shop where I worked years ago, and it does work. If you want to go high tech, Swain Tech Coatings (search the web) will put 1.5 thousandths thick moly coat on the skirt and a heat barrier on the piston top for about $30. This will give you 3 thousandths of additional diameter. Good luck whichever way you go.