Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 23 Briggs carb B10

This thing is giving me fits! I can get it to run decently for a minute or two and then it turns to instant junk. I can't get the old needle seat out and its now pretty well stripped. Any ideas on why I'm having problems, and maybe a tip to get the old seat out? Thanks! Ken

You need to use the B & S special screwdriver for carburetor jets or grind the sides off a standard screwdriver to make it fit. The tip needs to be thick enough to fit the jeb slot and the shaft needs to be thin enough to not mess up the carburetor body threads. Try some WD-40, or similiar penentrant. I've had stuck jets that had been cleaned in carburetor cleaner for hours that WD-40, and some time, would loosen and come out easily. Good luck, Roy

Ken, if you are talking about the brass seat for the main jet, we have resorted to a LH E-Z Out several times. The brass corrodes on the diecast lower carb body, and before you know it the slot mentioned above is totally wiped out. I think we drilled about a 1/8th inch hole down the center of the brass emulsion tube (sometimes called the "nozzle") in order to get a large enough E-Z Out in there. If this works for you, be sure to get the proper tap from Briggs to re-tap the hole before you put the new nozzle in. Let us know how things work out! Tom

Hi Ken, are you sure it is your carb giving you the trouble?I have seen cases where the points plunger starts to stick on and off and it does the same thing.