Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Was dlc right? It's about oil!

Brent_Baumer

Don't know if this is leftist propaganda or not. Kinda lengthy article about the Bush's, the "inserta"stan nations and oil.[A href='http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11717']http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11717[/a]

powermax_paul
Whether it's about oil or not, we should not be dependent on Middle Eastern Oil reserves, nor should we stop buying from them. At the rate we (the world) use these reserves, they will not last forever. Therefore as world reserves dry up, we on the North American Continent can sustain our needs for just a little longer. Classic Capitalism? or Maybe just working the board from Park Place and Boardwalk on back? Paul

Like it or not our world does run on oil, it is the fuel of the "one world think tank". it is also why we do not hand crank water from wells , carry produce on top our heads, and have donkey do in our city streets. I do believe we need much more work on different energy sources and the freedom to use what has already been put together in true eff. use of oil. Our over tech 40,000 dollar pick ups are a joke..MPH

I'm re-entering my reply. We don't need to do business with the Arab nations. We can get all the oil we need from our neighbor Canada. We can completely stop giving our money to the camel jockeys. According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, Alberta's oil sand deposits contain 1.7 trillion to 2.5 trillion barrels of bitumen, of which over 300 billion are recoverable with current technology. The Athasbasca Oil Sands Deposit is, by itself, the largest petroleum resource in the world. We should be developing a dependence of zero barrels of the enemy's oil and they are our enemies. Cheap oil is weakening us. Because of our demand for "cheap" oil the developement of the newer methods to produce oil from the tar sands has been hampered. By paying more for oil we will be able to break the Arab stranglehold on us.

Paul, Your “liberal” is showing. I suspect that “Classic Capitalism” is a very important factor. Oil companies must make a profit to survive. Fuel taxes (rather than slave labor) build and maintain our roads. There are a handful of people who have made a personal commitment to reduce the dependence on oil. They purchase, drive, and maintain expensive EVs and Hybrids, while the rest of us enjoy cheap oil. Are we, “working the board from Park Place and Boardwalk on back” ? I don’t think so. As the price of oil rises, more people will switch to EVs and Hybrids, and as more are sold, the price will drop drastically. Also look for “new” fuels. For example, one only has to look at films of the Hindenberg’s last flight over 60 years ago to believe hydrogen is explosive. The earth’s oceans are made of 2/3 hydrogen. But, why try to make an engine run on “water” now when oil is so cheap..? If this terrorism thing abruptly cuts off our oil supply, western oil will be used to power the military. The civilians who know how will resort to gasification as the Europeans did during WW II. Those who don’t will either walk or become cannon fodder. The environmentalists will be told to sit down and shut up for the duration. I'll bet most people would be willing to take a chance breathing smog rather than anthrax.

Hey guys. We already have oil nearby in Canada. This isn't some pipedream. All of the methods to get the oil are already there. As the prices have risen the economics of extracting the oil from the tar sands make it easier to make a profit and therefore more will be produced. The profit line is what motivates everyone. You don't have to change anything. We are not running out of oil the way they (gov't and big oil) lied in 73-74. By the way do you still believe that the oil came from the dinosaurs? Did they all die in some big pile one day? We can reduce our dependency to Arab oil and put them in their place ( in the sand and on their camels to bake in the Sun).