Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Something else to make you go... Hmmmmmmmmm!

Kent

Do you suppose its because the wealthy elite who buy the politicians are upset because Gates ( an outsider to the club) is making more money than they are and becoming as powerful????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Have you noticed that the Feds have somewhat backed off from Gates now that he is contributing to the political parties? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Think the problem with Bill Gates has been he is a succesful capitalist and thats been a pretty bad think in country since the 60's, esp. the past 8 years with leadership???? sponded out of the 60's think tank..MPH

This question was raised on a Philly radio call-in talk show. Without casting stones, it is a legitimate question. There are two men, both extremely wealthy. One develops relatively cheap software and gives hundreds of millions of dollars to charity. The other sponsors terrorism. That being the case, why is it that the US government has spent more money chasing down Bill Gates over the past ten years than Osama bin Laden?

Bill Gates did not get to his charge in life by sucking up and paying off. He offered his expertise to IBM when he started the windows concept and was rejected so, he did it his way. I tip my hat to Mr. Gates. We have the inet and are able to enjoy each other because of people like him.

I think it is always easier for the feds to hassle a law abiding citizen than it is find a real criminal.I know this 1st hand when trying to renew my Federal firearms license.

The original message oversimplified the whole situation. While Bill Gates has done many good things there are a number of staggeringly bad things too. 1) Forced computer resellers to bundle his software with their computers through restrictive contracts. This eliminated software competition at the source, the PC distributor. 2) Bought, and still buys, smaller companies with ideas and products which may hurt Microsofts position in niche markets. This again stops competition where it grows. 3) Had become driving force for a global warehouse of information about people by requiring people to register their software with Microsoft before they are able to use it. Can you say Big Brother? Gates is a shrewd businessman who knows what he wants and goes after it with every resource possible. This is a good thing but he is now so wealthy and powerful that he can get anything he wants. He has become a dangerous man and government has finally awoken to it. I admire him in many areas and despise him for his ruthless tactics. jason 2010

Jason, I appreciate your sentiments... many share them. I'm not sure why you consider Bill Gates dangerous, though. Can I suggest you read a book called "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It's a novel about "railroad tycoons" -- much like Gates is a computer tycoon... The premise is that it takes money to make money -- and to make the major investments necessary to take the "next big leap." The people who built our transcontinental railroads (Vanderbilts, Carnegies, etc.) were often MUCH MORE ruthless than Gates, and there were MUCH LESS government laws, regulation and controls at the time... But, without these people we would not have a railroad system -- the government wasn't into massive "public works" projects until later when President Roosevelt used them to pull the country out of the great depression.... It will portray "the other side of the story" in an entertaining story. It's a thick book (kind of like a Tom Clancy novel), but a very good read... I've bought it for both my oldest kids, and both enjoyed it. For example, if Gates and his partners (Boeing & Scott (?)McCaw, the founder of McCaw Communications) can make their low-earth satellite network system work, it will leap-frog all the telephone and cable TV lines in the country -- and take 3rd world countries to the 21st century in communications, largely bypassing all the growing pains and logistics problems that we've had since Alexander Graham Bell... No one else could easily afford such a venture, nor understand the potential and the hurdles to be overcome. If he's successful, he may end up with a virtual monopoly that we'll have to control or break up (Like the original Bell telephone system), but we'll have a system with high-speed universal, compatible access anywhere in the world... via something like a cell phone.