Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2010 carb question

jrmorrill

My 2010 is now running, but it's surging. I rebuilt the carb so the jet and idle are set to factory spec. The tractor starts well but soon starts to bog and stumble. When the idle runs low it catches itself and comes back to a reasonable idle. I made various adjustments to the carb. I managed to get it to run more smoothly but still surging. Plus I get a flame out of the muffler occasionally. So it looks like I need to adjust the carb but can anyone give some sage advice? Thanks, jason 2010

Jason, I have the same problem with a 3212. I think I'll start out by pulling the engine shroud off(have to remove the engine to do that) and clean all of the chafe and cottonwood seeds out of the cooling fins and govener. If it's an air vane govener that should help. Scott

These cast iron engines have internal mechanical govs. but definetly check the intake screen for debris plugging. Flaming muffler could be carb flooding or worn valves. Does it backfire when this happens?

Jeff, I can adjust my carb half way between lean and rich with no flooding or back firing. Could it be the govener spring is in the wrong notch??? Thanks for the info about being an internal govener, that saved me alot of time. Scott

Check your butterfly valve bushing (if you didn't replace it). If it's worn the shaft vibrates at idle and the govenor cannot keep up with it. Also, make sure there is no carbon build up inside the head and on top of piston.