Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adjusting deck on the 912H Fred & dlc forced me to

tej

You are BOTH equally to blame but I forgive you! Tractor works super even though I have to "horse" it around a little (not a tractor/mower for my 5', 100 lb. wife) but I am glad I bought it and really like it. Kind of enjoy the fact that she won't use it, only ME ME ME!!!!!!. I sort of laugh when I compare it to the others I was considering buying (Sabre, Scotts, etc.) Very rugged. Anyway, my question: Is the only way to adjust the mowing height is to use the two twist/spring levers on the back side of the deck? Can I use the lift lever for the deck to control mowing height? If not, why does the lift lever have variable height notches on the bracket allowing you to lift it to different levels? And last but not least, is there a definitive answer to the question about replacing transmission fluid on the thing? Every 400 hours? 500 hours? Never? Only when serviced? I have read all of the above. Which is right? How about bevel gear box fluid?

Thanks.

Hi Brent, yes I can understand "FRED & DLC" making you buy your new found toy as they both are great guys to have around for other things also. Now about ajusting the deck-the holes on the lift lever are used for adjusting other attachment settings-such as a snowblower-snowblade ect. or even a tiller that has to be set at a certain depth you would put a pin threw one of those holes to keep it from raising or lowering. Now if you don't use the two twist handles to adjust the deck height then you will not be using the rear roller to actually lift the deck off the ground. This roller is one of the main reasons for the great cut that your deck gives. Plus if you try to use the lift handle to adjust the height it will put more strain on the belt plus cause the deck to float or cut uneven. So I suggest using your adjustment handles for setting the height you like. I can't anwser the question about the trans fuild as I don't know that much about your model of tractor but I am sure someone else will come to your aid. Hopefully I was able to at least explain something that will help you. Best of luck Brian->jackl->happyjack<-

Thanks guys, new owner, forgot there actually are other things you can do with this tractor! It makes sense now that I think about it.... one other question... is there a trick or something to turning the screw adjustments? Mine won't budge. Have put penetrating oil on both and still can't get them to turn.... do you lift and turn, just turn, pull, push, ANYTHING besides turn it????

Brent, If you look at the way the deck frame is made you will see that adusting the screw adjustments also raises or lowers the front of the deck to keep it level and as my good buddy Jack said the rollers are what give you the "Simplicity Cut". Tim

Bret, No secrets to the adjusters. What I have done on old decks is take the adusters off the deck and put them in my vise. Wire brush the threads below the adjusters and oil or grease the threads. Then I take my 15" adjustable wrench and start working them back and forth. When I can turn them I unscrew them and run a die down the treads to clean them up. I then run a tap in the other part and grease it all with water proof grease before reassembling them. Tim