Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Any info on a WD45?

Putter

The WD-45 was one of the most popular AC tractors ever. It was a Horse but light, powerful but efficient, compact but strong as an ox. There is a cult following for this model. Check out the discussions area on www.allischalmers.com and you'll be surprised at the wealth of info out there. steve[A href='http://www.allischalmers.com']http://www.allischalmers.com[/a]

I have searched the site and can find very little information on AC WD45s. There was one thread back in June but no one has any pictures. Is this a desirable tractor? There is one for sale here but I'd rather know more about it before I drive too far for nothing. Anyone have information about these tractors? Thanks.

The WD45 is a small farm tractor comparable in size and era to a Ford 8N only more power and a better machine w/ live PTO. Won't find anything on this site about 'em. Contact AGCO918 (mickeymouse@bright.net) or JordB110 (ritzbitz_47@hotmail.com) they can give you good info and good websites. Brent[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1013135733']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1013135733[/a]

Very good tractor. This is one of the tractors we had on the farm when I was growing up. They were made in "tricycle" and "wide" front end models as well as gas or "rare" diesels. They had a hand clutch as well as a foot clutch. They reason for both as when you used the foot clutch it stopped the power-takeoff. When you used the hand clutch the power-takeoff stayed live. Very good little tractor with many mounted attachments including cornpicker, 2 and 4 row cultivator, 2 and 3 bottom rear mount plow, mowing machine, disk and others.

They are around 45HP, the "45" in "WD45" acually means 4.5in. stroke. They could handle 6ft. to7ft. rotary mowers, a 7ft. sickle bar mower and a 9ft. haybine at the same time, 3-16 or 4-14 moldboad plows, and many other things. Like Tuffy said, the guys at ww.allischalmers.com can tell you lots more. The WD45 is bigger, more powerful, and several years newer than the Ford 8N. The gasoline, kerosene, and propane engines came with a 226cid. 4-cylinder "PowerCrator" engine, this means the head was flat and the combustion chamber was in the piston. The diesel version was a 230cid. 6-cylinder. I'm not sure if the diesels were PowerCrator or not.Everything is driven off the foot clutch, hydraulics and PTO includid. It is a 4-speed tranny with high and low. The hand clutch is on the right side, pull it back for low and push forward for high. In the middle is neutral,this lets the PTO and hydraulics keep working while the trator stops This can be shifted on-the-go, also very useful when you need to go slower and don't want to ride the foot clutch(pop it in neural and hold it partway into low or high.) If you want to know more post with more questions, Jordan, (JordB110).

I have to disagree with Jordan on the High/Low range. Pushing the hand clutch forward stops the forward motion of the tractor, but allows the pto to remain engaged. Pulling back on the clutch puts the tractor back into motion. To my knowledge, the WD and WD-45 models did not have high/low. This option was not available from AC until the D-series tractors were introduced in the late 50's. Still an excellent tractor to own. Some came in an LP gas version in addition to the gas and diesel. I own a WD model and love it! I'll be plowing with it today (weather permitting). E-mail me with any other questions you have, I may be able to help. DaveM

Believe Dave is right on the hand clutch. As far as High/Low we had a WD and a WD45, they didn't have it. We did however have a 1946 New-Style WC that had a High/Low that they called the "STEP_UP" gear. It was a small lever by the steering column tower. Only one I ever saw on an A.C.