Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

20 HP Simplicity

Hi...new to the group and Simplicity lawn tractors so bare with me... How many models used the 20hp Kohler besides the 9020? What years were they made? Are there any problem areas to look for when buying one? Thanks, Eldon

Eldon, the 9020 was a unique class of garden tractor - or almost a small farm tractor. but the engine for the 9020 class machine was an Onan, not Kohler. I belive there was a 20 hp class small garden tractor with a Kohler - a 20 HP GTH in the late 80's I think. Steve

Hi Steve, I think you are right. I found the cross-reference index and was looking through the lists....best thing to do will be to go look at this tractor and get some numbers. Where is the serial number or model number usually located? Thanks, Eldon

As Steve said, the 9020 was one of the Pow'rMax series of tractors, and those used Onan engines. Kohler 20hp Magnum engines were available in Ultima & Sunstar tractors. Kohler 20hp Command engines are currently available in Legacy tractors.

The model number and serial number are located on the vertical sheet metal covering the PTO shaft under the seat on the righthand side of the tractor. It is a little silver sticker. The model number is first and will start 1690??? probably 283.

The tractor turned out to be a 7018 hydro that was in pretty good shape, but the sheetmetal under the seat was rusted away and there was a hole rusted thru the 4' mower deck. Otherwise it ran good and felt tight.....don't know if it was worth $1200 tho...

I believe the original motor was a Kohler K361S 18hp. It may be difficult finding parts for that particular engine. Was the tractor repowered with a 20hp engine..?

I'm sure it was the original...big coil on the side of the motor and loud! I think that the guy who had it just didn't know much about it and told me what the previous seller had told him.