Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Broadmoor Hydro gear transmission

My Hy transmission slips after running 2 hours up and down the banks of my yard. I would like to check the transmission oil. Is there a easy way to do this?

This is the second transmission. I have replace the drive belt with a simplicity belt (I have replaced the belt several times, once with a NAPA belt, their is a difference) The Broadmoor is a 94 model, the first transmission went out in Aug '98, the dealer said the transmission failed because of low fuild. The Simplicity company would not cover the cost. Now this transmission acts the same way. The transmission is a sealed unit. The company doesn't recomend checking fluid. Any suggestions, Thanks for the reply, Bill

Bill I,m a simplicity dealer if you tell me the I.D. # of your tractor I can see which transmission it has. It sounds like it's a hydro-gear I've seen a lot of failures. If it's a hydro-gear there is a replacement with a tuff-torq tramsmission take about 2-3 hours to replace don't remember how much they cost. A good way to test this trany is to put tractor up against solid object and see if wheels will spin, you need to make sure brake isn't sticking and that trany belt idler pivot is free and that belt is good. If it won't spin wheels not much you can do for it the hotter the trany gets the worse it gets. Jeff

Jeff: The ID # 1692416 50358 The trany is a Hy 311-0800 Sim 171507 I'll do your test, get back to you, the tuff-torg sounds interesting. I mow about 3/4 acre, half on a slop of 16 deg. The Sim does a great job handling the slop (when the trany's working). Bill

Jeff, I tested the trany. a wheel will spin if I'm not sitting on the tractor, If I sit on the tractor (200 lb) the wheels will not move. Any suggestions? Bill

Just finished mowing, the trany threw out some oil threw the vent tube. What does this mean? Will the Tuff-Torg have the limited slip simular to the Hydro Gear? What would be the cost? How long will it take to ship to Kuttawa, KY

Bill, don't have any reason throwing oil out vent except maybe to full. Have a transmission in stock. I would say 3 working days to get it to you. Need your zip code to tell you how much shipping. Jeff 219-842-4600 work Also forgot about your question on traction control. No the tuff torque does not. But I didn't think much of the traction control on hydro-gear anyway, only works in straight pull. Jeff

Sometimes changing fluid will help, but very rarely. Just replace trany. Give me a call and I can tell you how much. 219-842-4600 I can ship you one. They aren't to hard to install if you are mechanically inclined. Let me know. Jeff