Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

That time of year

Floydster

It's the time of year when the little critters like to crawl in the engine shrouds and build a nest. I guess I was a little late in setting the mouse traps this year. I was out leafing with the Allis yesterday and noticed a funny smell, the engine shroud by the flywheel was jammed with parts of rags,grass,acorns and what not. Some of which was blown into the cooling fins. Just a precaution guys, if not noticed, can harm a good engine. Floydster

that problem is year-round for me. I have adapted an air nozzle with a piece of 1/4" copper tubing about 8" long with a 90 degree bend in it. Seems 120 lbs. of air moves the critters and thier attendant crap out of my engine shrouds. I've seen them bailing out several times, due to the air treatment and/or engine starting up. Dick

The problem is the air hose cannot blow out the area directly behind the cylinder and on top of the coil. The engine must be removed and cleaned out manually. Hold your hand in front of the engine while it's running to check the air flow.

Wally your right about the coil area, I suppose a properly located hole drilled in the shroud would allow better access but it sure isnt in keeping with factory appearance of the engine. Dick