Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

* NT * Personal Reputations

DonMc

I have purchased tractors, attachments, and accessories from members of this club and from eBay. Those whom have done business with me know my word is as good as my money. Several months ago, a member of this club advertised an assortment of tractors on eBay. He stated he would consider shipping parts if the buyer didn’t want the entire tractor package. I was going to contact the seller and try to make a deal, until another member of this club bid more than the parts I wanted were worth to me. Subsequently, I learned that the club member who “bought“ the tractor package never paid, and the seller was “stiffed”. More recently, I was interested in a 10hp B&S engine on eBay. Another club member bid on it, but also “stiffed” the seller. On more than one occasion, I have responded to this clubs “For Sale” ads, and have been told another member “bought” the item. Later, after I purchased a similar item from another source, the original seller contacted me and said the first sale “fell through” and they had been a “stiffed”. I believe these “dead beat” buyers are younger members of this club. For their own future benefit, they should be advised that good reputations are built by personal conduct and are easy to loose. Good or bad, reputations follow a person for a life-time.

Herb, I whole heartly agree with your entire mess til you pt toward the younger club members cuz I've met a big plenty on people my own age whos word is about as good as ole slicks.

MPH, I think these PARTICULAR young members know who they are. And if the trend continues, their reputations will sooner or later identify them to all. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and quit repeating them.

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. An unwillingness to be responsible for ones own actions is a problem that permeates our entire society, all ages, races, economic status and both genders. It has become epidemic in proportion as we are told we can blame our parents, our schools - anything or anyone except ourselves. Of course that is all hog-wash and the only person who IS responsible is ourself. I don't care what your folks or anyone else did to you, I don't care if you were picked on in school and I don't care if you don't make as much money as you deserve, you and only you are directly responsible for everything you do and say. It's not a difficult concept, if you don't have the money in your pocket, don't bid! Some things in life are just that simple. While getting stiffed is a real pain, the real problem is how that mindset manifest itself in EVERY part of the offenders life. Terrorism will never bring America to its knees. Never. But an ever increasing population that refuses to accept responsibility for their own actions could.

How about another section to this site where we can give our expiriences when dealing with other club members or dealers. I think Ebay has something similar, called "sellers rating" or "Positive feedback". Whadya think? Jordan

Marty, Actually, I've had positive business dealings with club members of all ages. I did not state or infer ALL younger club members were on the road to acquiring bad reputations. There may be "dead beat" club members of all age groups. I don't know. What I do believe is that the "dead beat" club members that have impacted my dealings, are younger members. This post was meant to enlighten those members to the fact that, as Keith stated above, "... you and only you are directly responsible for everything you do and say."

Herb, KEP put my feelings/thoughts to better words than I did, I thank him. Seems it all started when self estem replaced self worth and pride and all those other old fashion thaought my dear dad would whop me for if I didn't protray em. Lucky for me I dried off behind the ears in time to thank him for his effort..MPH