Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ice up problems when blowin snow

MPH

MPH, remind me in a couple days, and I'll take some pictures of a de-icer kit for you. I have two versions, one is about 1965 vintaqe and one about 1970, I'm guessing. You could easily fabricate one out of something like an old coffee can or piece of sheet metal.... I'm out on the road on business and won't be back home until Thursday, and with my "CRS syndrome" I'll likely forget it unless you remind me! Kent

The Soveriegn Attachments and Accessories Parts Manual has a picture of the winterizing shields. I believe one of them is still available from Simplicity. Carl

How bout keeping a can of that spray de-icer stuff on board, give her a shot of it once in a while. Might be able to form some sheet metal around the carb area and trap some warm air off the engine. I'm no engineer Marty, but that's my thoughts on it. Hope some of the other folks here can lay a few more options on ya. What was the temp. at the time you sent your post in??

MPH, I sent you an email with a picture of the air deflector for winter use on Model 700. You could probably make it or order it from one of the sponsors. JJ Nemes and sons advertised one kit for Kohler. It deflects hot air from cylinder head to carb area. Winter use only. Woody I just got you message returned. No space on your server. I'll try a more compact image again now.

Woody, I just got done downloading that pic you send, took about 10min, Thanks..when I put the 112 together I put a glue-on oil pan heat pad on the bottom of the briggs I use on my like I use on the pick-up and van. Think its 100 watt, from NAPA. Throw a trap over the hood and in a couple hours the ole girls fooled into thinking its summer. I run syn gear lube in the tranny as 90 wt just sticks to the housing and everthing runs dry after about 40 below. I have yet to find a need for the trac when it gets that cool out as outside active is nolonger fun.

Marty, Simplicity made de-icer "kits". These included sheet metal panels as suggested above. I don't get anywhere near the amount of snow you do, but my tractors have iced up too. What I did was remove the air filter (no dust to worry about in the snow) and use just the cover to keep "snowballs" out of the carb. It works for me.

MPH, I wanted you to get a good picture but overdid it. I'm too used to this fast cable hookup and sometimes forget how I used to have problems retrieving my mail from others with fast lines. I knew you were doing something special to run that old tractor up there! Have fun fabricating and hope you can work indoors doing it. Woody

Has anybody else used one of these shields? The cold and snow do not bother my 2210 without the shield, but my 3012 with the shield ices up. I found if you can keep the wind on your left side it blows the snow away from the carb and then you don't have that trouble. Tying a plastic bag to the carb with nylon ties also works. To keep snow from getting in the gas cap that comes with the shield, use a spay can top and keep it tight with a piece of cardboard wedged between the hood and cap .

Marty, The simplicity deicer kit is just a heat shield that traps the warm air. I have seen them for sale on the sale site...or you could make your own. Seems to me I saw a picture of one on the main site once when I was searching through it once. Best, Ken W

The deicer kit sounds like my ticket as its normally the throttle shaft that gets so packed with melting/freezing snow on the outside of the carb that it can't move. Tried a canvas bandage on the 725 the first year I had the blower on it but I must confess not exhibiting much craftmanship in that attempt therefore got = results. Dick, so far the temps been hanging around 15 to 20 above, thus all the snow because of the warm air moving up the gulf meeting what normally would be below zero by end of Oct. I'll blow snow,,,,so far 9,5,2,4,5inches plus a few days of continous flake that amount to not much more that ice on the windshield..Thanks for the ideas, I'm lookin for the deicer kit if anyone has one layin around on one of them 50 buck parts tractors you guys find..MPH

Might be easier and faster to use an old piece of canvas an wrap it around the carb and that side of the block being careful not to contact the exaust. Tie it on in such a way that it takes in some of the warm air off the engine cooling fins. Just a thought. Sam

Dick, I think the feedback on this site is the neatest feature going for it, not to downplay all the info premently posted, but this board is like live info. B Wally, on the 112 the gas cap is well protected so its no problem. 2 years ago when I decided to dig into the B112 pick-up load of junk projet in Mar it was all under snow deeper than the hood on the 725, about 100 feet off the driveway. needless to say, my first year of having a snowblower, I developed a loss of shovels so the 725 got put to the test and passed with flying colors, long as I kept the snow bank to the right side, otherwise the muffler would blow into the bank and ice me over real quick. that was fun..MPH

Can't let my wife see these discussions or I'll never be allowed to live in Alaska (with her that is) with all of this snow talk. How do you get your tractor to even start when it really gets cold? Woody

As my yard is a 2 plus acre openning in the spurs trees I get a lot of wind swirels, ie, no direction in particular, so,, when I'm blowing snow I look like a snowman when I'm done and the tractor is hard to find cuz it matches the seen in the yard. Only trouble is the carb gets iced up to the point the governor won't even work, 10 min under a cardboard tent and away I go. Any body with a real solution I sure thank for sharing as I put on more hours blowing snow than mowing grass.. Thanks..MPH

You may be able to purchase the carb winterizer shield from Original Tractor Cab. When I purchased a new snow cab for my new Sovereign, the snowcab included a carb shield.

Marty, What is this de-icer kit I read about in your posting. Can you share the photo that was sent to you, or post it on the site? My 717 has a L shaped 90 deg. piece of sheet metal around the muffler held on by 2 worm gear clamps (clamped on protecting from the front and top), and I was told by the previous owner to use it in the winter when blowing snow. Is this what you're talking about? Van

Here's a picture of it installed (without actually clamping it down)... http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/images/new_shield_installed.jpg

Here's a picture of the simpler, old style (I think) heat shield. It came on the first Big Ten that I bought... http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/images/old_shield.jpg

And here is that old style shield installed, without tightening down the single clamp... http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/images/old_shield_installed.jpg

Here's a picture of what I call the "new style" heat shield for the old Briggs singles since I've seen them on newer tractors... The original Simplicity part number is 106789, Heat Deflector. It was one of three parts in the Mfr No 585 Winterizing Kit for Landlord & Sovereign. The kit also included part number 1066692, Clamp, Deflector, and 106798, Gas Cap (Winterized). http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/images/new_shield.jpg