Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 410 deck rollers

GLPointon

I'm rebuilding the 42" mower deck for the AC410 restoration and I'm puzzled about the correct deck roller configuration. I'll call the 4" rollers "sm" and the 6.5" rollers "lg"... the deck I have (which may not be the original) has the rollers sm/lg/lg/lg/sm and the PDF manual for the 300 series shows lg/sm/lg/sm/lg. I cant find a parts manual for the 400 series...Thanks for any advice sm01

PS. The best prices I can find are $11 for 6.5" and $7+ for the 4" at Jack's Small Engines. Anyone know of better source for rollers?

(beware Amazon ads for $4 but the shipping is like $8)C

CH Yates Rubber Corp. They are boat rollers, but they work very well, at least on my 48" large frame deck they are working fine. They come in 9" and 12" sizes and can be cut to fit (I used a power miter box). They are good quality and the best pricing I found.

Greg,I believe the 42" decks have small rollers on the ends and large/small/large in the middle as pictured above and also on my 42" Homelite deck:

T10_0007.jpg

The 48" decks have the same "middle" setup, but have large rollers on the ends as seen on the NOS A/C deck I picked up last spring:

IMG_5591a.jpg

I have a .pdf copy of the A/C 400 tractor/etc parts manual (I think I got it from BLT). If you want a copy, PM your email addie and I'll send it to you. Also interesting that my .pdf copy of the A/C 300 series parts manual shows "Lg/Sm/Lg" rollers in the center section of the parts diagram which is opposite of your manual. The "end" rollers pictured in the parts diagram are drawn large, but are not "numbered" as the center section roller are. Neither of the A/C manuals spell out the quantity of rollers specific to 42" or 48" decks - just "Order as Required". My Homelite manual for the decks does spell out the specific roller count as listed above (that's also a .pdf copy if interested).

T10_0007.jpg.cea4d9a8f3e090082576341422e64f94.jpg

IMG_5591a.jpg.413a1d1c63bf75a0c959d3121a6f2dcf.jpg

the 300 deck above is a 42" deck

this is original as this particular deck was purchased with

my 310 by my grandparents when new....

Bill,

I have the sister to your NOS deck deck

from Mr. Mobile Gold : )

Chris,

I didn't know anyone bought Mr Mobile Gold's 2nd A/C right discharge deck. Did you pick it up or did he ship it to you. I knew he was shipping one of the deep left discharge decks to someone.

As to your original 310 deck, I wonder if originally the roller setup was the same for both 42" and 48" decks? My guess is yes since in the 300 series parts manual, there are 3 different part numbers for the roller bar shaft assembly. One part number for a "retaining ring type" and two different numbers for 42" and 48" "Cotter Pin Type" (the A/C size specific cotter pin type part numbers match the Homelite roller shaft part numbers). Does your original 310 deck use retaining rings to keep the end rollers on? Or I guess it's possible the dealer assembled the deck with a 48" deck roller bar.

Bill,

Yeah, I went down and picked it up from him... good guy....

well, on the deck...

my 310 was one of the early 310s with the black and white hood sticker (unlike the ones with the orange with the model #)

Im not absolutely sure what the rod had originally but I think it was the retaining ring type... when I replaced the bent rod (shown in the pic above) I drilled holes and used cotter pins.... so... uhhhhh... ???

just as a comment... I've seen at least 4 variations of the beige 3/400 series decks... the front hitches varied as well as the placement of the serial tag and the safety stickers as well so I wouldnt be surprised if the roller bar varied as well...

interestingly, Bill, I would say your old deck in your pic above is a newer deck as evidenced by the round bar stock on the front hitch, you'll notice its similar to the front hitch on the 400 series pamphlet pic. the front hitch on my old deck has flat bar stock knitting the 2 sides of the front hitch together... so i call that an "old" deck... as opposed to the 400 series or the NOS deck I have as "new" deck... too funny...

• 9 months later...

I know this is an OLD thread.... but hey... its mower deck repair/rebuild season!!

just a comment here.... I would say the small roller on the outer ends of the bar is a better design... It has become apparent to me that the wider rollers on the outer edges (while better for "that ball park look") is not as functional in terms of the longevity of the bar... the long ends of the bar stick out too far and make them susceptible to damage/bending. the long "lever-arm" must make them easy to bend. I dont think this much matters if it is a 42" or 48"... .albeit in my hands my bends are much less pronounced on the 48"...

I notice outer rollers tend to grab or dig or even plow - esp. beside large trees, where the ground might be mounded up close to the trunk. (or other similar situations). This puts a load on the bar; but not severe. The worst is where the bar/roller really hooks into something, and really pulls, or stops the tractor - that'll bend yer bar.

Also, I have seen several decks, where rollers have been (?) altered, so that there is no roller right behind the tires - I prefer full set of rollers right across, for consistent appearance - but the tire makes a good hakk, if you are shy one or two rollers, etc.

Not sure what's best; but I like the idea of smaller roller on outer bar area, thinking less tendency to grab, dig, plow, etc.

For that matter, I would be tempted to fit all smalls right across - gives more parts to pop up and down as required - so I think. Really hard to say what's best.

Parts source - I have heard good things about Yates boat rollers; and no complaints.

As for the bar itself - is 'cold rolled' the way to go????