Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Stories, whats your best?

SmilinSam

Was running the grader blade with and old AC I picked up the other day. Been going good for an hour, when the darn thing sputtered and died all of a sudden, kinda like it ran out of gas- but I had just filled it earlier. Looked in the tank, it had plenty. Went to look at the carb.......and it was gone! Found it hanging under the tractor by the linkage. Yup! That'll do it!

Mine is probably when I was mowing with my old B-112 and it got lound all of a sudden, I didn't think anything of it just thought a load was put on the governor, then I heard a "thump" the motor bogged, and stopped, I was looking at the deck and realized the muffler fell off and ran it through the deck, or my other story would be when I got my B-10 running, forgot the ground wire and governor linkinge, and then the motor took off for the moon, took a pair of pliers and got the "zap" of my life!! I sure learned to check all my wiring after that.-BradW

The first time I tried to mow with my 64 Landlord I looked behind expecting to see the swath I'd cut and discovered the durn thing wasnt cutting. After looking at the discharge side of the deck and seeing virtually nothing coming out I concluded the deck was running backward! After reversing that 90 deg. twist in the pto belt (duh) she cut like a champ. Dick

heres one . i was out plowing snow on this nice and bitter cold evening when i was going down the driveway i hit a crack and broke the lift rod for the blade and put it under my 3212H. kinda looked like a gradder but faceing backwards . i don't lock the tilt now and take it slow going down the driveway.LESSON LEARNED. matt

The first time I cut with my 64 Landlord, things were going great. When it was time to pack it in for the day I disengaged the deck and gave it a "little" more gas. Well... it was just a little too much for the ole girl and it made it about half way up the hill. I had a pretty good idea what to look for, so the next day I started investigating. I undid the whole thing from the oil pan up and when I lifted the engine off, it didn't take long to see the problem. Still on the oil pan was the connecting rod cap, the bolts and half a connecting rod! I will try and attach a picture but it may be a little hard to see. I had a good chuckle and had to take the picture. It was NOT too hard to see the problem looking in the oil pan. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1794673&a=13908938[A href='http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1794673&a=13908938&p=55588627&f=0']http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1794673&a=13908938&p=55588627&f=0[/a]

I know some of the other club members have done this one.I changed the drive belt on my Broadmoor 717 and hopped on for the test drive put it in high gear and push the clutch and what a suprise when you run over everything behind you.LOL I twisted the belt the wrong way and had 2 speeds reverse and one forward.Just that feeling when you know you are in a forward gear but you go backwards.Good thing I did'nt run over the kids or the dog.Now if only the cat would of been there...I am just joking for you cat lovers.I would'nt really do that. mowerman1193

Mine involves my first Broadmoor. It was the older 2 speed models. I picked up a pair of them in need of repair. The one that looked closer to running didn't have the seat or rear fenders on it. I didn't let that stop me though. It had the small metal platform the fenders/seat bolt to and I figured that was good enough just to see if this thing drove. That was a mistake. I remember my brother saying the one he had was touching with the clutch. I forgot about that till I let the clutch out on this one. Having the engine at about 3/4 throttle didn't help. The front end lifted about 5-6 inches off the ground and I slid off the back of that metal platform. I still had a hold of the steering wheel but my legs slipped between the rear wheels and the transmission. By the time I got up enough, the tractor was moving along on it's merry way while I was trying to do this, I had two long tears in the back of my pants about 10-12 inches long each. Also got some nice burns on my thighs. I learned my lesson, lol.

When I had first brought home my AC310 I was driving it into the yard when a piece of bailing wire the previous owner had used for the throttle somehow got wrapped around the drive shaft. After it started whipping around it snagged all the wiring and ripped most of it out.That was my introduction to working on AC's and Simplicity's, thanks to the board I had it rewired and running a few days later.

I started my AC 620 after it had been sitting several months. It started OK but ran very sluggishly - then I noticed it was spurting oil out of the exhaust! The fuel pump diaphram had cracked and leaked gas down into the crankcase and the engine was pumping the oil/gas mixture out the exhaust. I don't know how the thing kept going, but I shut it off immediately and was happy neither the mixture caught fire and burned up the whole tractor nor the crankcase exploded - I guess it was too full of the mixture and not enough air.

Mine is a snowblower story: My brother was blowing snow at our home place. The winter was a brutal one with much, much more snow than usual for Illinois. Stan was up early to blow snow using the 720 - we used to fight who got to use the tractor. The night before (and late) I got stuck in the driveway and was towed in by Dad. He unhitched the chain pulling me in, growled a fatherly growl, and threw the chain to the side. Needless to say in the process of clearing the driveway Stan ran the chain around the auger and thru the big snowblower locking it up. It stopped cold and solid. We were sure the engine was shot but after removing the chain from the auger the tractor started right up and both the tractor and snowblower were fine except for a few dents in the auger.

I have a 716h that I got from a neighbor a couple years ago. The kohler 16hp engine worked ok but smoked some and knocked. I used it to mow 5 acres and recently I have only been mowing a couple acres. It started smoking more and leaking oil from the seals and I figured I could make the end of the season with it. One morning it bogged down for no apparent reason. I cut it off and checked the oil (used, leaked a quart per tank of gas) and it had plenty. cranked it back up and it ran fine for a few minutes then it started knocking loudly, so I immediatly shut it off hoping the rod wouldn't break, which it didn't. I managed to find a new short block (Kohler still had 4) and when I took the oil pan off the old engine I discovered that the slinger was broken in half and the rod nuts were backed half off the studs and they weren't stripped either. I also discovered when I pulled the head off that the piston was so worn there was a ring with gap if you pushed the piston to one side. The piston also rocked on the wrist pin both ways. Further inspection revealed that the pin bearing areas in the piston were egg shaped. Amazingly enough the top of the piston and the head were in good shape for the piston slapping the head. All the oil leaking was comming from the front and rear seal being blown completly out of their bores, probably from high crank preasure, so there was nothing stopping the oil from leaking out. Didn't find either till I removed the clutch and flywheel. I would have to say that the problems were always there, just got worse, since I bought it. Anyway, now I have a block that is in need of boring and maybe a crank, if that one can't be saved. Of course it needs all the parts I took off it that I put on the short block. Havn't decided if I want to keep it or sell it. Phil D

Well I don't know if this story is funny , but it might give ya a laugh. A guy at work told me about an old B-10 that someone was giving away. He told me I could have it. I went to the persons house to find a B-10 that has been outside weathering for the past 15 years. Steering was stuck and it had three flat tires. Now, here was the tricky part, there was only one way to get this thing out of this guys back yard due to the lay out of his yard being fenced in and on a huge hill. He told me someone came to look at getting the B-10 out of his yard a week ago but he would need at least three guys. My first attack was the steering. I had my PbBlaster in the truck so I sprayed it down the steering tube just about until the can was empty and worked it loose over the course of twenty minutes. No way I was gonna get any air in these tires so I gave it all I had and the old girl actually moved! Now here's where it gets tricky. The side of the house where I had to take it out of the back yard is a hill with steps leading down to the street. The guy asked how in the world I was gonna get it onto my trailer. I told him I was gonna push it down the thirty steps and onto my trailer at the curb. He laughed. I grabbed my planks and lined my trailer up at the sidewalk. I was lucky my trailer lined ride up with the sidewalk, the curb was about 2 feet high. Down the steps it went, almost out of control. Right across the planks and perfectly onto my little trailer. More luck than anything. I turned around to see the old mans jaw on the ground.I took it home and looked around on the Web and found this great site. With the help from Kent I was able to get some spark to it and got it running. The things you'll go thru to get your first B-10! Man the next day my back hurt like hell! Ken Nasty

My first tractor was a Craftsman L1067. It was literally a basket case, two engines in pieces, a frame, and two decks. I pieced together the briggs 10 horse engine and scrounged the odds and ends for mounting. I was anxious to see if the engine would run so I put some gas in the tank and set the carb 'bout midway. I then jumped the starter with the truck and lo and behold it started ! ...In Third Gear !!! Man! that little tractor took off riderless straight for the house with me running and hollering after it. I didn't have the hood on yet so when I caught up with it I yanked the fuel line off. the tractor stopped about three feet from the side of the house !

I was tilling up my garden in the spring, turning out the usual New England bumper crop of "winter rocks." (They must sprout and grow fast, because they weren't there the year before....) I stopped the tractor at the lower end of the garden (visible in the pic below) to go back and pick up some large rocks that I'd just tilled out. Rather than shutting the tractor off or setting the parking brake, I just took it out of gear and left the engine running -- it seemed to be parked firmly in the tilled soil on this slight slope.... NOT! After picking up rocks for a couple of minutes, I turned to go back and get on the tractor, only to find that it had rolled 15-20 feet down into the edge of the woods and was mired up in mud up to the wheel rims. With these agressive lug tires, I promptly spun the tires and buried it in the mud to the point it was high centered on the tranny. So, 30 minutes later, having tried digging and filling in around the tires, I gave up and brought my 4WD pickup into my freshly tilled garden to pull it out with a tow strap.... That's another factor that prompted me to clean up the mess behind the barn, and use the fill in the swampy area and build a service road -- the project that I documented in my Johnny Bucket article....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_bucket_jr_.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/hauling.jpg'][/a]

Hey Kent, this tractor stories thread is VERY interesting at least to me, probably others too. Would it be a heck of a job to make a "tractor stories shed"? From the response in this discussion it seems to be a popular subject. Dick

A few years ago, I thought my tractor was possessed! I was starting up the B-112 for the first time in the spring, the tractor started running and I couldnt shut it off! I turned off the key, had the choke all the way out, the thing kept running. Finally I pulled off the battery cable and it quit. I was really confused, put the cable back on and it started up again. Finally I realized that the starter switch had frozen down(engaged) and it was just turning the starter/gen and actually not running. A little WD-40 cured the problem. And yes, tractor stories would make a good new section for the site.