Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler Help

MittenB10

Well just depends who you ask. Me I like stacks ( not quite at all)

A little noise never bothered me yet. And I dont have neighbors either. So this does make a big differance too

...Me, I like the old Nelson Can's. Not that they are all that super quiet, but I like the OEM sound and look I grew up with.

Personally, I like a little 'crack' to the old singles...gets the neighbor gal up to that big front bay window to see what's going on dOd

I am with you guys, my neighbor's think I am crazy I put a stack on. The kids think it's cool when I take them around the block and crank up the motor at dusk and fire comes out the stackdOd!

There is a guy there that fabbed up his own muffler out of two "Pepper shaker" mufflers that he had stacked together and welded a sleeve in between. It looked quite nice and provided him with the desired sound deadening.

Search for "muffler" and see what you come up with.

Putting on an elbow and pointing the exhaust will help a bit, but then again what is loud? Silencing exhaust noise is a science, been in the engine business for 48 years. Buying off the self mufflers is a hit and miss solution at best. Your advice will come from people who have had situations. Their desire sound comfort might not match yours. It's like "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" as it applies to sound.;)

quote:Originally posted by timflury

There is a guy there that fabbed up his own muffler out of two "Pepper shaker" mufflers that he had stacked together and welded a sleeve in between. It looked quite nice and provided him with the desired sound deadening.Search for "muffler" and see what you come up with.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think this is the thread you're talking about. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115708

Good idea on combining the two pepper cans together. Currently have an idea right now that uses an old camp-style propane cylinder and other items. The idea here is to build a muffler that mimics the look of the original while trying to deaden some of the noise.

Looks like my father and I will be tackling this and I'll post up progress pics as we make it happen.

Yeah, That's the one.

Like Bob said, using a stock muffler and directing the outlet away from the operator will quiet the machine down as you are sitting on the seat.

Honestly, I put a stock muffler on my serf at the end of a vertical pipe and it seems like the tractor is getting louder after a few seasons of use.

When the Nelson OEM rusted out on mine I got a scrap deal on an old rear engine Snapper rider. The muffler was a little bigger but similarly shaped(11 hp) so I cut off the flange mount and put a pipe nipple on it. Turns out it runs smoother and has a subdued rumble without being obnoxious, but then I have close neighbors too.

There is a compact nelson with a slip on inlet on the side that uses a small automotive style clamp. It fits the pipe nipple on the kohler 10-14 single. I think it had a Gravely application and I was getting them from Rotary for less than 20.00 bucks many years ago.I sold a bunch of them and it is one of the most quiet mufflers you can buy.

Originally posted by osenga

Well just depends who you ask. Me I like stacks ( not quite at all) A little noise never bothered me yet.

quote:Originally posted by 1Litre

There is a compact nelson with a slip on inlet on the side that uses a small automotive style clamp. It fits the pipe nipple on the kohler 10-14 single. I think it had a Gravely application and I was getting them from Rotary for less than 20.00 bucks many years ago.I sold a bunch of them and it is one of the most quiet mufflers you can buy.

id="quote">
id="quote">If you have any pictures of this at all, I would like that very much!

Originally posted by MittenB10
quote:
id="quote">Google this. I belive this is what Litre is talking about. Stens Part Number 105-262

Thanks!

That would be the one that another member sent me info on as well. I think that could work nicely.

I like the old Nelson / Fleetguard mufflers. I was lucky and got 2 NOS ones from Simplicity before they ran out and then I got an NOS Nelson dated 1971 with a tractor I bought.

2012-04-02_19-59-50_232.jpg

2012-04-02_19-59-50_232.jpg.cc59eb935d12034c2c8f2056516fb366.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Buickgsman

I like the old Nelson / Fleetguard mufflers. I was lucky and got 2 NOS ones from Simplicity before they ran out and then I got an NOS Nelson dated 1971 with a tractor I bought.

2012-04-02_19-59-50_232.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">Those are sweet! If memory serves me those enter in from the end and exit out the bottom correct?I believe I tracked down the one somebody mentioned that worked on an older Gravely w/ a Kohler.

When my neighbors get on my nerves with their loud music that sounds similar to beating on the bottom of a washtub, I put a straight pipe on mine, about 12" long, then cut the grass on that side of the house. Works wonders, drowns them out, then they go in the house to get away from me.

After a while, I go back to the pepper can muffler.

I put an automotive muffler on my ZZ tractor engine last year. If I had the space on the Landlord, I'd put one there, too. I'm actually considering a Cub Farmall muffler, or maybe a glass pack, mounted across the engine and exhausting on the starter side. When I figure it out, I'll post pics

HA! I like this. My neighbors at least are far enough away where I don't have to hear their music. But, firing up the straight pipe would be good for when they just "drop by"...

• 3 weeks later...

That stens muffler worked like a charm! Quiets it down a bunch, still wearing ear protection but at least I can hear the valves over the muffler noise now!

I use oem nelson cans from ebay or club members

I paint them inside and out with rustoleum barbaque black heat paint

keeps them nice and I point outlet 45 degrees to the ground like factory

sounds and looks right

• 1 month later...

i installed the two salt shakers as a stack, on my b-10 works great. i can hear the valves in the motor now.

its not as quiet as a new tractor. other components create noise too.

but it looks good and sounds good too. :)

• 6 months later...

I'm having a company custom make me 100 Nelson like mufflers for these garden tractors :)

If your like me, tired or looking for an old rusty used one and paying more than you could have new 10 years ago?

Let me know if your interested. I'm contacting alot of people and looking order these in bulk from my manufacturer(I've already purchased the tooling and am ready for production)

These are made of the same grade steel and thickness as the originals.

30 day lead time once I know exactly how many hundred people are interested. Please message me quantity you'd like and any other questions. Looking about $100-$150 each. Live on Simple tractors sm06

quote:Originally posted by superbman101

I'm having a company custom make me 100 Nelson like mufflers for these garden tractors :)If your like me, tired or looking for an old rusty used one and paying more than you could have new 10 years ago?Let me know if your interested. I'm contacting alot of people and looking order these in bulk from my manufacturer(I've already purchased the tooling and am ready for production)These are made of the same grade steel and thickness as the originals.30 day lead time once I know exactly how many hundred people are interested. Please message me quantity you'd like and any other questions. Looking about $100-$150 each. Live on Simple tractors sm06

id="quote">
id="quote">Please use the classifieds for what they were intended for. You will get the same results there.