Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Years of SunstarS - what is yours?

MysTiK

This is intended to be a casual "reference thread" mainly for identifying and comparing Simplicity Sunstar tractors. There have been lots of questions about "what year is my sunstar" and also what engine, what features, what changed over the model years, etc.

Feel free to add, correct, modify, or comment on any info here.

There's info needed on MFR's, manuals, engines, parts, the diff lock feature, heat shields, the role of the plenum, what's a plenum, tips and tricks, and anything you find interesting, useful, helpful, or just plain cool about Sunstar.

Also info is needed on Allis Chalmers models, and Deutz Allis models - yes, they made those too. (year, MFR, manual?)

There are 18 and 20hp models - what's the difference?

I am starting things off with some pix I found. Pix mainly illustrate cosmetic paint and decal changes, which can be used as keys to approximate ranges of model years and varying features. I can't verify the accuracy of this info - maybe you can from direct experience, etc.

All comments welcome. sm03 Maybe now, maybe later, as we learn more.

Rough I.D. - what year? what engine? diff lock present?

Sunstar ID-198(6)-1991-Magnum

SunstarID1986-1991-Magnum.jpg

Sunstar ID-199(2)-1995-Command

SunstarID1992-1995-Command.jpg

Sunstar ID-1996 and 1997- decals - No diff lock? Some?

SunstarID1996and1997-decals-Nodifflock.jpg

note the 'ugly yellow wheel' option was only available to individuals who found a very creative source for 'spare parts'. 8)

It is strongly recommended that such parts be repainted with far more beautiful shades of orange/red, red/orange/, orange, black, gray, silver/grey, spring green, or varying shades of white such as ivory, bone, etc. 8D

I remember seeing(and almost buying) a Sunstar with a 15HP engine. Am I remembering this right?

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

I remember seeing(and almost buying) a Sunstar with a 15HP engine. Am I remembering this right?

id="quote">
id="quote"> Well sort of. ;) They had either a 14 or 16 HP model and which door would you like?:D

Originally posted by BLT
quote:
id="quote">Oh, you guyz that know near everything; I thought you were joking. :I Guess I was half right also. 8D. The HISTORY section confirms it.id="red">:D

From the HISTORY section, on simpletractors.com:

http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm#SunStar

= QUOTE

Simplicity SunStar

The SunStar was introduced in late 1986, as a 1987 model and was built through the 1997 model year. The SunStar was replaced by the Legacy in late 1997. Some of the mid-production SunStars were marketed as the 18GTH and 20GTH. This tractor was also made in Deutz-Allis green, Agco-Allis orange (1918H and 1920H) and Massey-Ferguson red. The Deutz-Allis version also being called the “Ultima.” Massey-Ferguson editions used the “2918H” and “2920H” designation. The “2900” designation is common to BOTH the SunStar and the Legacy Massey-Fergusons. So 20 horsepower Massey versions of the SunStar AND the 20 horsepower Massey version of the Legacy carry the same model number! Pity the guy at the parts counter!

All SunStar’s used Kohler Magnum twins, with the exception of the 1988 model year. After the first year sales were not up to expectations so Simplicity brought out 14 and 16 horsepower singles as price leaders. Some even had 42” decks. These models were discontinued after one year.id="red"> All SunStars use a Sunstrand model 15 hydrostatic transmission on a Peerless 2600 series transaxle. This is an essentially bulletproof, runs-forever combination. The 20 horsepower models had a two-speed axle and differential lock (just like a farm tractor), however a few 20 horsepower models were produced with a controlled-traction differential. With that exception all 20 horsepower models are two-speed with differential lock, power steering, and split braking where applying the brake automatically pulls the hydro towards neutral. These “full-feature” 20 horsepower models are highly desirable, comparing very favorably in performance to almost any compact tractor.id="blue">

All 18 horsepower models are single-speed, without the above-mentioned features. Power steering was available as an option, and there was a special 18 horsepower model with power steering standard.

All implements are shaft drive and electrically clutched. Front and center PTO’s were standard, rear optional. Rear PTO speed is 3450(engine rpm) nominal or there was a Peerless reduction box optional for tillers. A category “0” three point hitch was also optional.

Club members who own one speak volumes of praise for this fine tractor. Purported to be a very easy to handle, some even say that a SunStar will cut grass better than the beloved and venerable Sovereign! The only weak point on this tractor is a maintenance-intensive front axle. The current Legacy model uses the same drive train as a SunStar but without the high-torque Kohler magnum twins. Most of the attachments will interchange but you may need an adaptor kit.

= UNQUOTE

(Note: the later model years with Kohler Command engine are not mentioned.)

(Unconfirmed - but Command may have been used from mid-92 thru mid-97, as indicated on pix above.)

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS?

It appears to me that the later models seem to have larger rear wheels/tires setup. Was this the later models, or was it an option?

The larger tires 26x12x12 where an option on the Sunstars (even on the 20hp)and it's twins. I think the 26x12x12 rear tires are standard on the Legacy.

The later years (I am looking at a sales brochure) the Sunstar came in 20hp only with a Command CH20 engine. 3 sizes of mower decks, 26" tires optional.

BTW this same brochure has the Sovereign with a CH18 only, hydraulic lift standard and power steering the only option.

The brochure was printed in 1994.

I keep discovering more and more about the links on simpletractors.com.

TONNAGE of info here. (Recommended) dOd

"Browse the 1987 Deutz-Allis catalog . . ."id="green">

http://www.simpletractors.com/deutz/deutz-allis.htm

Deutz-Allis Ultima 1920

1920.jpg

Engine Cooling System - (the "plenum" - thx to "BLT" for that word)

3_breathers.jpg

A few details:

= 26" turning radius

= hyd lift

= drum brakes

= 2 FEL options offered

= mowing height up to 4" !

Lots more w pix in the Deutz-Allis section.

Yes, a Massey pix - never seen one of those. I think we'd have the whole set then.

It would be really good to hear from someone who has a

1992 or 1993 model sunstar or 1920 tractor (or even near those dates)

with a Kohler Command engine in it.

- esp. a Command with identification plates and numbers still on the engine. and an MFR might help too.

- or other evidence to verify when the Magnum engine was switched out for the Command engine

The "DATES info" on those first 3 pix, at this point, are really just 2nd-hand information.

It would be great to verify the accuracy of those dates - somehow.

Ken.

1987? Could be his son.

Note also that anybody under 40 won't have a clue about EE.

It might be a younger Simon Cowell. sm03

or one of the Beach Boys.

-------

Graham.

quote:Originally posted by 1Litre

Somebody has to have a Massey picture .

id="quote">
id="quote">Funny you should mention.dOdhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QEVS88H838

I thought finding a good pix of a Massey would be easy; it's not.

While searching for a pix of the Massey version of the SS, I found a very good thread on another forum.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/simplicity/88429-simplicity-sunstar.html

The expert on dates, Newt, was probably the source of the first pix I posted here, along with the dates info. Anyway, it seems the dates are correct - he owned a bunch of them. Strange, the pix don't show (moved) in this thread. Anyway, a good read, and kinda firms up the story here. And a few more details as well.

ALSO - found an old 2004 'show and tell' thread,

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=39210

featuring great pix of oem Simp 3PH, and oem Simp (KwikWay) Loader.

and, This SS, with 20hp Command, was bought new in '92. sm03

3-point3.JPG

dOd

hitch%284%29.JPG

finally found a good pix ....

(I like how they used the black accent on the lower areas of the Massey. Early AC700's were similar with black in lower areas.)

Massey Ferguson 2920H

Massey2920H.jpg

Years of production? unknown? no info?

Were they all like this one?. ?

Massey2920H-2.jpg

The Massey appears to have a larger front tire. Does anyone know of the size of the larger tire or what sizes will fit the standard rim?

I noticed that too.

There's lots of room here for people to add info about tires, attachments, and what fits, etc. etc.

Links to certain MFR or MANUALS re SPECS such as tires, rims, etc. would be helpful.

Lots of Manuals have SPEC LISTS which might help you w tire options.

The foreign link I posted above has a post that says that 60" decks used a larger roller than most 48" decks - I know some would be interested in checking that out also. Are they available?

Sunstar is a generally bigger heavier tractor; and some of that tek might filter down to other models, and be very useful and useable.

More info is needed and welcome.

I have only focused on the 20hp models. There might be some useful info on the 18, 16, or 14 hp models as well. Some of those may be more desirable for practical purposes or preferences.

The door is open to all. It seems the need for info is real; SS tractors are relatively rare and less known. This can be a reference thread; but it's only as good as what is contributed to it.

Feel free to post anything at all.

Brett, I am no tire expert; but I know others have pursued oversize tire mods, and also rim mods. Specifications might be a good starting point in answering your concerns. Direct experience might help even more.

A week ago I wandered through the X-REF section on simpletractors.com - the info is sparse from the chart, requiring much downloading of various manuals to see what's what, and what's different, if anything. But there are probably a dozen+ MFR's listed covering the entire run from '86 thru '97, with the various brand names, models. but the xref only mentions "xxhp tractor" or similar, no descript, usually. Not impossible, but a hard search to get the exact required manual.

The rims looks different as well. What is with the blacked out seat in the photo? Maybe it was yellow from a John Deere. Embarrassing !!

quote:Originally posted by 1Litre

The rims looks different as well. What is with the blacked out seat in the photo? Maybe it was yellow from a John Deere. Embarrassing !!

id="quote">
id="quote">I know. I think it looks like somebody "'shop'd" it. but the pix was too pretty, and too rare, to pass up. stole it from an auction site. The only other good one I found had a ded deer parked beside it. I was tempted to show a pix of an early 716; the paint w the black is quite similar.This pix is unusually tiny, like 52KB's or so; I was surprised it looked good at all! The original must have been huge megapixels w a quality lens. (?).Hard to say about that rim - the third pix near top of this thread shows a fat tire on front, and similar rim - methinks. But I'm no expert. The whole front end on these tractors is different - more info on that would be great also.Also that's the 60" deck - the one w supposedly larger rollers that will supposedly fit same bar size on a 48". (fewer rollers to cover the width, and increase mow height?)

I haven't tried any MFR's; but picked this number from a thread somewhere - it generates a whole slew of stuff in briggs manuals site.

MFR = 1691339

Maybe they all do this, I don't know.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

The Massey appears to have a larger front tire. Does anyone know of the size of the larger tire or what sizes will fit the standard rim?

id="quote">
id="quote">Right out of the combined parts book for the 20 HP Simps. Agcos and Masseys.1713528 2 TIRE, Multi-Trac, 16 x 7.50-8 (Dico)1714339 2 TIRE, Turf Trak, 16 x 7-50-8 (Dico)

Thanks, BLT. Now the question is, can I go to an 18" tire, or will that affect deck height too much? I do not know how the decks adjust on the Sunstars, but I do know I wish I could cut a bit higher with my Sovereigns.