Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT plastic replacement gas tank

perry

picked up a lawn boy commercial push mower. the gas tank has the fill neck in the correct spot for a FDT hood dOd. just about the same dimensions as the original tank, just a touch shorter. with a little fabrication this tank should drop right in. and it's orange^. This is my second plastic tank i have found to fit a FDT. the other unknown brand black tank i got is the exact same size as original. so keep a look out for these older lawn boy mowers ;)EBAY-MAY018.jpgEBAY-MAY017.jpgEBAY-MAY020.jpgEBAY-MAY019.jpgEBAY-MAY021.jpg

wardssquire9007.jpg

wardssquire9008.jpg

Perry, thanks for sharing. What a great way to get away from rusty gas tanks forever!

So, that's where the tank went off my Lawnboy. No wonder it won't start:D:D8D

You will have to cut another hole in the plate under the tank. The fuel outlet is on the wrong end.

If you don't mind cutting the hole, Troy built tiller tanks are the same size too, and they are steel, if you want "original" ;)

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

You will have to cut another hole in the plate under the tank. The fuel outlet is on the wrong end.If you don't mind cutting the hole, Troy built tiller tanks are the same size too, and they are steel, if you want "original" ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">yep, thats the only down fall. atleast on a worker tractor it's not too big of deal to ad a hole and it's hidden ;) . i wish i could find the maker of the black tank. got that one on a wheel horse tractor that someone added on it.

I was just thinking (yeah, dangerous for me to do that). Why not put the tank in where the opening lines up with the hood, and drill a new hole in the bottom of the tank mount to route the fuel line??

Later..

Told you it was dangerous. I skimmed over Dan's post, and thought it talked about drilling a hole in the hood. Just reread and his post said under the tank. Sorry Dan...

Perry,I'm betting the black tank came from an old LawnBoy. Here's some pics of the black plastic tank that was in my "parts" HB-112:

IMG_6331a.jpg

IMG_6329a.jpg

It looks just like your orange one. I believe it had the rectangular mounting tabs, something was cutoff in those locations on the bottom of my tank. The cap say "gas-oil mix" and 32/1; I'm pretty sure old LawnBoys were 2 cycle.

IMG_6331a.jpg.9af513f5b767d00f2af278a0090d0ffd.jpg

IMG_6329a.jpg.eb66c6cc185635c97b121e7283bafd2a.jpg

some older comet (snapper) riders have a 6hp tecumseh engine and side mount square plastic tank these fit the 2210 FDT without drilling they are the same height ,width , and fuel line location.

• 4 months later...

someone emailed me thru the club and i could not reply. here is the info asked for.

lawn boy commercial mower model # 8461

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

DSCF2432.JPG

DSCF2433.JPG

Perry, I got a plastic tank today. I think this will be a great replacement tank for my B 112. I believe the Lawn Boy I got it from was a 1984 model 6211 commercial wank behind.

DSCF2432.JPG.e2c7f9d583d4bc9b8db9a4c51763f40d.JPG

DSCF2433.JPG.2a545082b9b62c32ead1065ad1243f07.JPG

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Perry, I got a plastic tank today. I think this will be a great replacement tank for my B 112. I believe the Lawn Boy I got it from was a 1984 model 6211 commercial wank behind.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Cool...... nice find Ray 8D

I wonder how many years lawn boy used that style tank

I too used a lawn boy commercial tank on my 64 Landlord the orange one as shown at the very beginning of he thread worked like a champ--- strapped it using a 2 long cable ties... what did NOT fit was the orig simplicity cap with the gauge in it. but as those never really worked well anyway the compromise was worth it to stop the leaks---and not have to spend big bucks for repair or NOS metal got mine on e-bay as I recall