Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oooops 48" deck needs help

onebadfish

ooops :I is what my wife said when she showed me the deck on my 7117. She backed up over a little stump and the rest is pictured. I am looking for any info on how to fix this. I would like to replace the rod and all the rollers but it seems to me they are no longer available. Does anyone have any appropriate replacement idea for the rod and rollers.Thank you in advance,Tim

oops.jpg

oops.jpg.7b9bc63cd50a9de4380aeb3670143740.jpg

The roller bar and rollers are still available from Simplicity. The roller bar is part #1668541A and the rollers are part #1668513. The roller bar is not cheap.

If you can weld, or have a shop that has reasonable rates, just replace the broken roller bar with a 5/8" rod. You'll have to grind the weld off the rod at one bracket (only 1 is welded, the other is free floating). Just make sure the new rod is perpendicular to the bracket when the new rod is welded to the old bracket. Drill some holes for the cotter-pins and you have a new roller bar. Or use collars with setscrews and you don't have to drill the bar and weaken it.

Here's a link to Burntime's post about repairing his roller bar:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112257&SearchTerms=roller

Yates Rubber boat roller products are the cheapest I have seen for the rollers. Solid rollers, 9" & 12" available and cut them to size. I have a set on my deck and they are holding up great.

New rollers will probably at least restore full spec mowing height of 3", assuming that wear on the old rollers reduced the rollers diameter, and therefore the original max mowing height also.

Burntime used the Yates rollers and I think gained even more height.

Another recent thread by 'locknut' showed extending the bar on the height adjustors to boost max mowing height to approx 3.75". This is almost as good as my circa 2002 Simp "Pacer" mower (a hydro, deck-out-front, walkbehind) which will do 4" mowing height. We're talking barefoot soft, baby. :D

Taller mowing height yields elevated rate of photosynthesis - the power lawn - with more weed resistance, drought resistance, cooler soil temperatures, less evaporation, less water needed, increased biodiversity, less fertilizer, less pesticide, etc. No extra charge. Best Lawn on the Block. 8D

The elevated roller height MIGHT also tend to improve the belt angle on the deck drive pulley. (really not sure of that)

I really want to do this to my 716H.

- sorry - I can't find the thread to locknut's mods on height adjustors

FOUND IT:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121421&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=diesel

quote:The deck mod seemed to work ok too.I had the 2 roller support bars lengthened an inch.Full up measures 3-7/8 on the back of the side blade adjacent the output.id="quote">
id="quote">

001-14.jpg

Thanks all for all the good info, this site is priceless for info for any Simplicity/Allis owner. I have been putting off replacing the rollers and after she broke the rod I think now is the time to restore the max mowing height and get some new rubber on the ground too.

Check Speedy Metals for your 5/8" roller bar. On line, or on your side of the pond they have a locatiuon in Detroit. Reasonable and fast.

Thanks for the tip Brett, I was just starting to research where to find the 5/8 rod. I am in Detroit at least once a week so will get it picked up and get the rollers ordered and start the rebuild.

I just ordered new rollers from Yates last week. Prices went up about $1 per from what I seen others paying on the site.

I'm still trying to source a 5/8's rod to finish the job up.

F&F

Does anyone know what the total length of the roller bar should be? I can't really tell because I have a chunk of undetermined length missing from mine as pictured in my first post.

Thanks

The total length of the roller bar is 46 1/4"

There is 38 5/16" from the face of the bracket to one end and 7 5/16" from the face of the bracket to the other end. The bracket is 3/8" thick.

Thank you sir, going to order the bar today, the company referenced above sells a 5/8 bar cold rolled or stress resistant, I think I am going to order the stress resistant bar.

• 9 months later...

ok just now getting to ordering parts for my deck roller rebuild, spring is threatening to appear so have to get moving on this, amazing how a project like this takes the back burner once the snow starts flying. Can anyone tell me the number of rollers needed for the bar and their lengths?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

The Yates rollers can be cut to length, they are solid throughout. I don't recall what I ordered, they come in 9" and 12" lengths.

Ok great thank you. I like the look of those and think they are a good fit for this use.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

The Yates rollers can be cut to length, they are solid throughout. I don't recall what I ordered, they come in 9" and 12" lengths.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I used replacement rollers from these guys, OMBWarehouse.com. they were $5.28 each and I needed 11 of them, including the two under the deck. Also bought the 5/8 rod and made my own shaft for about $10. If you use a drill press to drill the holes 5/32 I think they are, slow it down and use some oil on the bit to cool it.

I went overboard when I fixed mine. I welded in two short pieces of pipe with the correct ID. Drilled and tapped for set screws and then slid in a new rod and rollers. I can now replace my rod when ever I want, in about 5 minutes...... provided I can remove the set screws.

Ken

Most Farm and Fleet and Menards type stores carry different dia. rods in up to 4ft. lengths. Just make sure you get cold rolled and not hot rolled.

I am thinking about getting this...Was considering stainless because it is not much more but probably an overkill.http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-29-8227-18r625.aspx

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

Most Farm and Fleet and Menards type stores carry different dia. rods in up to 4ft. lengths. Just make sure you get cold rolled and not hot rolled.

id="quote">
id="quote">

• 4 weeks later...

Got the bar today and got it to the welder, should have it back by Saturday. Rollers ordered from yates due here Friday. Just in time too, snow was flying last Thursday, today is 80 and the grass is growing.

I plan on putting this deck back together this weekend and want to clean the underside of the deck and maybe give it a coat of paint to help keep the grass from sticking. It seems I read somewhere here there is a special paint made for this purpose, anyone recall reading this and know what the product is?

?? seriously? :I I did a quick google search on nostickatall and I only got one result which the rules of this forum would forbid me from sharing the nature of.I am against the wall regarding grass getting high so I think I will throw a coat of black rustoleum on the underside of it and call it good for this season.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

Nostickatall:D

id="quote">
id="quote">