Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC/Simplicity Hybrid

Floydster

First off, great site!

I am the proud owner of an early AC 712S. It has been in the family since new ('75). After finding this site and seeing all the great tractors you guys have, I've decided to refurbish this tractor.

I recently purchased a Simplicity 3416H with a friend.(Hydro unit appears to be toast.) He wanted the motor and the rear wheels. I got the rest. ($100.00 including a very solid 48" mower deck.) My question is this:

Would it be easier to split the two tractors and mount my drive unit on the Simplicity front or just swap out the parts needed? I need to replace the steering sector and front wheel units on the AC (The 3416s' are great) plus all of the sheet metal. (My step-father thought that maintenence meant putting gas in the tractors...) The 3416, though a hydro, looks like it has all the right holes and such for my shuttle system..

Now for an opinion poll, which way should I go when I do the new paint scheme and decals?? AC or Simplicity?
Are either of them easier to obtain? I am leaning towards Simplicity mainly because of the grill on the hood.

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

Rob, I think there is more availability of after market AC decals; however, you might want to check with Simplicity to see if they offer replacement decals. As far as which tractor to restore, if you disassembling the tractor to paint it then use the best parts from each. Check both frames sides for cracks where they bolt up to the 90 degree case. AC or Simplicity is really just your choice. Now if you wanted to confuse people you could paint it green with yellow wheels. I hear the decals are easier to find. Tim

Tim,
Thanks for the response... I am leaning towards the Simplicity mainly because I can see no easy solution to the grill differences. I bolted the seat tray up (My old one was rusted thru) and matched the hood up and everything is a go. We have almost completely disassembled the unit, I am going to pull the unit in two either tomorrow or Friday. I have decided to do what you suggested and combine the best parts off of each, after looking things over it looks like this is not going to be very complicated at all. Ahhh no thanks on the green machine... (Although I am looking at an all red machine right now and may just branch out in that direction! )

Thanks again;

Rob

Rob. The Simplicity decals may be available from SIM as they may have the ones you are looking for. As for AC 700/900 series decals-- FORGET IT!! I checked all over the country for 700 series decals. I had a set made by a local sign shop. I have a almost perfect 712H that I took pictures and dimensions of. The left/right hood and rear vinyl decals were $15.

MS

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I am really leaning towards the Simplicity and this pretty much cements it. Problem is.. "What model do I use?" There seems to be no direct crossover to the 712S. (3412S? Make up my own?)
Anyways thanks again! Hope to have pictures this coming winter.. (Going to do the strip down etc...
Rob

Mike,
Thanks! In as much as I am probably going to have the cylinder bored out to accept a K321 piston in a couple of yrs making it a 3414S sounds like a good idea!

Got another problem now though.. Just found another tractor and fell in love with it... Only problem is.... Its RED!! I think I will be branching out in the near future to another brand...

Thanks again!

Rob

Rob, I have the reverse situation. I'm putting the "712" AC decals on my pulling tractor which was originally a 1971 3314V Simplicity. There was no AC equivalent to that tractor. I had the "712H" blocked out on the remade decals and now shows "Allis-chalmers" only. I also own a 3414S Simplicity Baron. This could be what you want to call it. I don't know if they made it in 12 hp.
Good Luck

MS