Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
expediter

Engine won't "key" start

expediter

I have a Simplicity 7114 Hydro w/ a 14 hp. Kohler engine.I have to"jump the starter solenoid to get it to run.I replaced both the starter solenoid and ignition switch.What's the problem? Anyone!

HubbardRA

Still sounds like a bad solenoid to me. Just had one that lasted less than a year on one of mine. Have replaced several solenoids in recent years. Don't seem to be made as well as they used to be. This last time I used a Ford automobile solenoid. Now spins like crazy and starts right up when I hit the switch. If you want to get one, buy one for a 1970 Ford truck.

sammiefish

check voltage at small terminal to which ignition wire (from key switch) connects to solenoid while turning key....

if youve got voltage then its the solenoid... if not, its an interlock switch or the key switch itself

MrSteele

Most Ford trucks have what amounts to 2 solenoids, though the one on the starter is called a drive. The solenoid you are looking for is, regardless of model, engine size, size of truck, etc, is the solenoid that is bolted on the fender well. Even a kid at one of the pseudo parts stores like Auto-Zone or Oreilly's will be able to find that one in his computer. Most likely, it will be the one that sells in such stores at around 13-15 bucks. To save driving to a real store, I recently put one on a Troy-Bilt tiller that did not originally have electric start for an 82 year old man. Got it at Oreilly's(close to home) for $13.50

MysTiK

Check and clean connections - any and all you can find - batt to solenoid to starter to ground. Fine sandpaper will make connex shiny metal clean. Inspect wires as you go; possibly teeth marks from mighty mouse.

Only functioning nanny on my 716Hydro is on the hydro stick - push left to start. Mine used to start 'sometimes' if I forgot to hold the stick to the left. Recently I slightly bent the hydro stick, accidentally, and now I no longer have to hold the stick when starting. Note that if you did not know about the hydro nanny, you're problem just got solved. :D

(nahhh)

BLT

There are not many 914's and 7114's in Simplicity line up of that era and I am guessing this is the correct wire diagram. You can take a jumper wire and connect/hold it to (+) side of battery and tap the other side to the small terminal of starter relay. That should make the starter engage. If that's the case, it is just a matter of working from the starter switch forward to see where the offending switch is not completeing the circuit.

7114StartDiagram.jpg

expediter

In the last month I jiggled the wires(harness) and my tractor has been starting the normal way so far.I APPRECIATE all the help I have recieved.Thank's for the wiring diagram BLT