Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

990370 Weed Cutter Rebuild

GrincheyOne

Originally part of my 2110 project - posted on- 07/20/2012 : 02:11:16Trying to have the Weed Cutter 990370 back in operation, by the time I have the 2110 project substantially completed. Have all the parts off the cutter (skegs need to be replaced) to go to the welding shop, along with the front axle from the BIG TEN. Got the original belts off the cutter's four spindles. Three of the spindles will need the bearings replaced**. Only the main drive spindle is spinning freely. Once I remove all the spindles from the weed cuter deck, it can go to the cleaning, blasting pile along with the 2110 frame, and seat deck. It's getting near cool enough to don all the blasting safety gear. I can't wait to see how the glass beads work, compared to the conventional sand. They say it is much cleaner (less dust). We'll see!The plan worked, and I got the spindles unbolted from the weed cutter deck. It's a good thing I'm under roof, 'cause the rain began when I started on the first spindle. All four spindles are of differing heights, to prevent the blades "clashing", when they rotate. the bearings are This deck will take 8 bearings for a complete replacement . On the lighter side after I finish the 2110 project I'll have to build a shelter for this weed cutter (actually, this machine has SO MANY carriage bolts, it will have to be a "carriage house"!) :o) This is the main deck w/o spindles

Dscn0103.jpg

Each of the openings are angled depressions to mount the spindle base plates (that's right w/ carriage bolts!)This is the faceplate of the "cutter" NOTE the angling of the cutouts in the lower edge. This gives you some idea of the blade angles! The shiny area on the far right is the remainder of the weld (by the PO) I had to cut!

Dscn0104.jpg

That "monster decal" is going to be a dream to replace. It means what it says!id="red"> I have already put some 1-1/2" deep slots in wooden fence posts!This is the obverse side of the faceplate, giving the operator some reading material

Dscn0105.jpg

Four more carriage bolts come out tomorrow, then the face plate and deck can go over to the cleanup piles. If I was at that point tonight, they would have gotten a good rinse in the rain. Then I can get the spindles into the bench vise, and get them broken down. They have some nice 3/4" jam nuts on the arbor shafts. I broke them loose before I removed them from the deck with a breaker-bar, augmented with a 4 foot piece of 1" pipe for added torque!}:)}:)}:)

Dscn0103.jpg.edb6c5665981940ca8942fde329fb02d.jpg

Dscn0104.jpg.38b291ab6960d7f23d41ef89bc12d246.jpg

Dscn0105.jpg.3edd2b0d41bb31d6965bf8c6b4377f01.jpg

Last night I finished the second inner spindle ^, and began to attack the main drive spindle, which is a unique configuration. Well two down and two to go. I am waiting for all spindles to be available to give them a good bath in Evapo-Rust.

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Nice project Wayne...maybe you should try out that new sandblaster???

id="quote">
id="quote">I fully plan to Greg! The Rustolium Aircraft Remover hardly dents the finish on the various pieces, but does a great job on the decals. I think I should definitely use the sand media. If it ever stops raining.I have had thoughts of replacing the front plate with heavier guage steel, since it takes a beating, when going through heavy brush. I have a piece of CRS, that is about 4'x4', and a tad over 1/4" in thickness (0.29"). The problem would be in providing the 12 holes for the 5/16 carriage bolts. It would be a lot of difficulty providing these square holes, without a broach punch! Anybody have a simple solution?Here is that unique main spindle (drive)..., that I am working on

Dscn0251.jpg

next step is to remove the setscrew on the cast double pulley. The PB I applied on Saturday should have done it's job. Once the pulley is removed, I can drive the 3/4" shaft down through the spacer, housing, and bearings.

Dscn0251.jpg.9d52db8f0f53d6c277af1a998bc8cbb1.jpg

Monday night, I worked on breaking down the spindle. The most difficult part was getting the setscrew loosened. End result was breaking my 5/32" hex wrench bit. here is the housing, and one of three welds, that hold the case together.

Dscn0263.jpg

I'll post the video of the process Tuesday night (after all the clips are merged). The shaft and bottom pulley are in the RH background.

Dscn0263.jpg.01a18189f4244e6329caf4080828d301.jpg

Wayne are those spindles all mounted on a slight tilt? I never thought that "sawtooth" look on the front was due to the blade angles. If they are tilted how does the belt ride true?

ill take that pesty center spindle off your hands :D .

still waiting to get mine back from my buddy. he dropped it off at his friends shop to have a new spindle made. you know how that go's a friend of a friend deal. i told him last week to go get it done or not. dont want it to get lost. my plan is to do a complete restore on mine. and maybe ill paint it Allis yellow or gold to go on the squire 9 ;) never seen any other color weed cutter but orange.

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Wayne are those spindles all mounted on a slight tilt? I never thought that "sawtooth" look on the front was due to the blade angles. If they are tilted how does the belt ride true?

id="quote">
id="quote">The tilt angle is the same for all spindles, hence the shafts are all parallel to each other. There are multiple small interior belts It is just a matter of adjusting the dual pulley placement on the spindle shafts, so that the center axis of the belts are perpendicular to the axis of the respective shafts.To aid this, each spindle has a unique sized spacer from the top bearing to the bottom of the double pulley hub. Clear?Wayne

Tuesday night I got the bottom pulley separated, So just one more spindle to go. Posted a video of Mondays work on You-Tube.

"Simplicity Weed Eater - Main pulley parts breakdown"

That is if you don't mind 41 minutes of the bumbling of a Senior Citizen^.

Wayne

• Like 1

quote:Originally posted by perry

ill take that pesty center spindle off your hands :D . still waiting to get mine back from my buddy. he dropped it off at his friends shop to have a new spindle made. you know how that go's a friend of a friend deal. i told him last week to go get it done or not. dont want it to get lost. my plan is to do a complete restore on mine. and maybe ill paint it Allis yellow or gold to go on the squire 9 ;) never seen any other color weed cutter but orange.

id="quote">
id="quote">Perry,Is there any other color? My effort has turned into a complete rebuild. I have to see what the welding shop will charge for a 1/8" thick sheet of CRS. That 0.29 thick piece I have might be an overkill. $ will tell! Likely I'll have to have them do the punching for the carriage bolts (12), either way.Cheers,Wayne

Well it's Wednesday, and we are up to 8/10" of rain for the week, it is the intermittant showers that makes it difficult to work outside (blasting). By the time you get ready to go, you have to close "shop" to keep things dry.Finished the last spindle tonight, and discovered age damage to the pulley. It is a pressed steel pulley with a rolled edge. I'll have to see what I have in the pulley stash, or have the welding shop fix it. This is what was found under the crud, that was trapped between the pulley and belt.

Dscn0270.jpg

.Better days(nights) are coming, I Hope!Wayne

Dscn0270.jpg.77acb78af5ae55d1cd8d48510daf34b1.jpg

Originally posted by GrincheyOne
quote:
id="quote">Greg,Here is an extract from the IPL, that shows how the belts are installed.

belt run.jpg

Wayne

57e05d37283e0_beltrun.jpg.c7e84cb5000ae79df166f197b035923d.jpg

I bet you could find that steel pulley at a local store or online.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, Perry! I checked last night and the outer spindle pulleys on my old 42" decks will do the job, and they are cast iron. Thus, less likely to be environmentally challenged (like pressed steel). Got a spindle in the vise right now, allowing PB to do it's job. FREE IS BETTER!^^^Around here the locals would echo "For free take, for buy waste time!".Cheers,WayneBTW the real challenge will be getting replacement blades!

good find on the pulley. I rarely leave to go buy parts. when i need something i can usually find it here sm01

yep the blades are going to be a bugger to find.

man if i had time right now i would do a side by side weed cutter rebuild with ya .

good find on the pulley. I rarely leave to go buy parts. when i need something i can usually find it here sm01 yep the blades are going to be a bugger to find.man if i had time right now i would do a side by side weed cutter rebuild with ya .

id="quote">
id="quote">YEAH,I got that cast iron pulley off the '68 spindle today, while I was taking a break from blasting the frame of the '68 LL. I hope it's not the pump. Might use that shaft from the spindle to repair the wishbone for the LL. Good 3/4" stock. Might get a half day in on Saturday (wanted to go to a tractor show), but my well quit this evening.WayneWayne.

Got a new pump! But, the tank is shot! Installer said the tank "killed" the previous pump, by short cycling!. AH! Well! it's only moneyXX(

No "on tractor work today", Although we had ideal wind conditions. Did get the free stove from a neighbor, I hope the doctor OKs me doing the powder coating. Did make the time to straighten up the garage, and finish the parts shelf. That'll help as I go forward and start spending more time inside.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne...NOW I get it, Thats quite a Pulley/Belt puzzle, but a very cool way to solve the problem of blades hitting.Good luck

Originally posted by GrincheyOne
quote:
id="quote">Greg,Here is an extract from the IPL, that shows how the belts are installed.

belt run.jpg

Wayne

id="quote">id="quote">

• 2 weeks later...

How fortunate, that ACE was celebrating "Pink Bucket Day". For a $5 Donation to the Breast Cancer Fund; you get a 5 gallon VERY pink bucket! Any thing that fits in the bucket is 20% off. This includes the $60 Oxy-Mapp torch kit, I just happened to "sqoosch" into the bucket, along with over 409 pieces of miscellaneous hardware. Those of you, who have shopped the boxes of "Hillman" hardware, can appreciate the significance of a 20% discount. Of course after creating an Excel worksheet of requirements, my computer printer decided to only print 90% of the list. My ultimate backup was to finish off with a ball-point pen!8C (another upcoming non-tractor project)!Csm02!Now this is a PINK bucket (another paint color for one of (Huffy)'s future projects)}:); my shopping list is clipped to the end of the 2110 frame (waiting for a final sanding), and the "Worthington" Oxy-MAPP torch kit (Yes, that was in the bucket also)!:Q:Q:Q

Dscn0281.jpg

Cheers, You might say "I am tickled "pink"!Wayne

Dscn0281.jpg.12462ebaa64b6034603e6ea39700e6b3.jpg

Wayne,

You will like that MAPP outfit. I only have the MAPP torch on the yellow tank, but I can turn light and medium weight steel red in short order. Be sure to report on the performance of the Oxy/MAPP outfit. I'm interested.

quote:Originally posted by JimDk

Wayne,You will like that MAPP outfit. I only have the MAPP torch on the yellow tank, but I can turn light and medium weight steel red in short order. Be sure to report on the performance of the Oxy/MAPP outfit. I'm interested.

id="quote">
id="quote">Hmmm, I do have that spine on my 2110 seat deck to straighten. A good test?WayneBTW do you still have that old AC "camel hump"??

I had a set-up like that at one point. Went thru a bottle of O2 pretty quick while brazing. If I was in a heat and beat mode, I think I would stick with the straight MAPP gas with a swirl style torch. Unless I need big heat, then I pull out one of these :D

torch.jpg

File Photo mine is an old Central Tractor one, well used.

quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

Now this is a PINK bucket another paint color for one of (Huffy)'s future projects)

id="quote">
id="quote">I still think a little pink Serf would be cute, and I'm sure my neice will adore it.