Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

From the Allis Chalmers Factory...

GLPointon

I live in LaPorte, In. and there was a big Allis Chalmers Tractor & Impliment factory here until the 1970's. I just got this from the nephew of the guy that wore it. He worked there from 1940's till the plant closed & it hung on his garage wall from then until last week...Its not a "Hardhat", its lighter material & called a "Bump-cap" not rated for impact, it just protects you from bumping your head on things hanging in the plant...

DSCI3729.JPG

DSCI3741.JPG

DSCI3742.JPG

DSCI3750.JPG

I liked that they painted them AC Orange. I put it on my orange AC Tractor for comparison sm01

DSCI3729.JPG.61a470e087a9520d5de6588f97ff37d1.JPG

DSCI3741.JPG.7a571108e221dc89cc5535b144c74c87.JPG

DSCI3742.JPG.12acd2457eb23e2ec98f240c2c449611.JPG

DSCI3750.JPG.0d2cd3c628c3838df2fdf148094acace.JPG

MysTiK

Pith hats are made of "pith" - very light wood, from interior region of tree - main feature = porous light weight wood. Also cool - used in hot climates. Used to see these in old movies - common in movies - worn by circa 1900-1950 (ish) military, explorers, Indian Jones types, British, European.

Bump cap, same idea - could be made of pith, more likely plastic, or metal. Metal ones are hard to find - or they were for me.

Either way, they are also very good as sunhats - they offer protection for the top part of the ear, as well as shade for head, face, neck, ear, nose areas.

I used to wear similar when I worked golf course. (white plastic bump cap). A fellow worker had an actual pith helmet. Basic sun protection plus incoming golf ball protection. (better than nothing) 8)

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Brownie0919
    • LalanP111
    • BLT
    • Zeb
    • gwiseman
    • PGL
  • Today's Birthdays

1. comet66
      comet66
      (73 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• MARK (LI)

MARK (LI)  »  Alltractoredup

...This is Mark from Long Island ....Gene told me that you are selling  FEL for a Sunstar....the link he sent me does not take me to it ...I am not on FB myself, but my wife is...is it just on the AC  / Simple group, or is it on the Marketplace?
      · 2 replies
    • F.U.N.

F.U.N.  »  sandyhillbill

Dear Sandhillbill
      Can you please copy me on this data, for Sun Star parts list.
      :
      September 12, 2004 Mike I sent you a PM and have all the mfgs. available for the tiller/hitch/pto/liftgroup if you need me to send them to you. Let me know. Thanks, F.U.N.    
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts