Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 wheel tractors

Al

HI,

Are there very many people here that like/save the old 2 wheel tractor?

I have a number of these old units some complete, some not, various models and attachments, and parts attachments. I have always been going to restore a couple of them etc. Some have been around here for 25 years. It appears that at my age, with my plate full, I am not going to get around to restoring any of them, I also have 2 Cushman scooters that I have the same problem with. The Cushmans I will sell. The garden tractors I would like to find a new home for, at a very reasonable cost, because if they ended up going for scrap metal would break my heart. 2 are complete with with the stick shift transmissions, one 7 hp with a tiller and a 6hp with a front rotary mower. If any of you are aware of an adoption agency for 2 wheelers or someone that would adopt and then readopt out some, let me know. It would be horrible for this part of the Simplicity story, where the garden tractors really started to be lost. Simplicity started with a company that made automotive machining equipment (boring bars) starting in about 1926 and then added the garden tractors. The 2 wheel tractors were sold through dealers and Montgomery Ward in the late 40s and 50s. In the 50s and 60s rear engine riders and 4 wheel tractors were added. In the 60s Allis Chalmers bought Simplicity and at this time Simplicity and AC decided that MW weren't going to compete against the dealers. When the MW deal stopped, Wards was selling the 10 hp Squire for about $800.00, (Landlord) I bought one. Wards then went to Midland for their 2 wheel tractors and to Gilson for their 4 wheel tractors. These tractors featured a variable speed drive that was fed through a shaft over the top of the engine. The Midland tractors would mount and run the Simplicity attachments. and the Wards Farm catalog in this period featured around 50 attachments for Simplicity 2 wheelers. I think I posted this catalog a few years back. As I remember from the 75th anniversary party, the president of Simplicity through the 30s,40s and early 50s was a Mr. Feibelcorn who is remembered as a very prominent and generous contributor to the community in the Port Washington area. They talked about Uncle____ and his way of management. I am having a brain seizure and can't remember his name. Guess its time for me to shut up.

Al Eden

Al, the Simplicity president you refer to was William J. Niederkorn (correct spelling of last name). He was born in 1887 and died in 1976.

I have a Simplicity Model FA 2-wheel tractor from 1955. I have completely restored it, including the original engine. I also have several attachments for it, which I have also restored. I too, am a fan of the old walk-behind tractors.

Hi,

I am sorry, I had a brain lapse last night. As I was shaving this morning it hit me that it was William Niederkcorn, I don't know how I got this confused with another person I am aware of. Gregg, THANKS I rushed out to fix my error and you had already saved me. I believe the library in Port Washington is named after him. The old time employees I have talked to when we were on the cruise in 80 said he used to be affectionately called Uncle Willy in the day to day operations.

When I was a kid about 8 up I wanted one of those tractors so bad I could almost cry. My dream was to have a cart and haul wood etc to the house instead of having to push a wheel barrow. Also to have the reel instead of having to PUSH reel mower to mow the yard. We were pretty poor and couldn't afford a luxury like that. We had a John Deere B, a 10-20 Mc Cormick Deering on steel and a 20 Caterpillar, neither of which were good for doing chores like going to the orchard and picking apples and wheeling them to the house. You can't imagine the dreams of a 2 wheeler. I used to go to a junk yard that sold these and would just hold the handles and push it back and forth on the floor about 3 ft. 65 years later these dreams are as vivid as they were then. My dad always wanted a Gravely, but we couldn't afford it either.

Al Eden

I love the 2-wheel tractors and have a few myself. Not a Gravely in the bunch. Some Wards and Simplicity. I have a trailer and quite a few pulling implements. Good to see I am not alone in this passion.

I have a pretty good collection of 2 wheel garden tractors rubber and steel wheeled for what I really don't know because if it doesn't have a seat and steering wheel I'm not going to use it in the garden.The Simplicitys are good little tractors.Like you I always wanted one to use in the garden when I was a kid soooooo......now I guess I just buy them to admire.

• 4 months later...

Al!! By any chance, are you still getting rid of your two wheel tractors and attachments? I have a Simplicity Model W that I bought about ten years ago and rebuilt last summer. I only have a snow blade for it but I've been looking for attachments for as long as I've owned it. I'd really like to get a tiller attachment and a snowblower attachment. That would keep me from selling the old girl. I'd like to see if you have any of those attachments.

Thanks!!!!

quote:Originally posted by ang961

Al!! By any chance, are you still getting rid of your two wheel tractors and attachments? I have a Simplicity Model W that I bought about ten years ago and rebuilt last summer. I only have a snow blade for it but I've been looking for attachments for as long as I've owned it. I'd really like to get a tiller attachment and a snowblower attachment. That would keep me from selling the old girl. I'd like to see if you have any of those attachments.Thanks!!!!

id="quote">
id="quote">Al Eden passed away almost two months ago, sorry. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123710

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone;

I have a Simplicity Model V restored and running with a dozer blade and a moldboard plow. A Model M all orginal with a cultivator and moldboard plow this next on my list for sandblasting and painting. A model LB needing future engine repairs. A Model D that I had out today leveling gravel using the dozer blade from the model V. A number of other Simplicity 2 wheel tractors that will keep me busy for awhile.

I just picked up an Empire Garden Tractor no engine and no handlebars.

I think this one hand wooden handles originally. I am not sure if I will ever get to this one.

quote:GOD I thought AL was talking from the grave.id="quote">
id="quote">

I don't know about that, but I'll bet he's watching over us.:)

BTW, the last I heard, Ivan (Al's brother) and Judy (Al's wife) were trying to sell Al's collection of a dozen or so walk-behinds in all states of condition, along with attachments. They don't want to scrap them if they can avoid it...

No reason to scrap them. Iowa isn't too far from me. If you have any info on getting in contact with them, I would appreciate it. John

quote:Originally posted by OldFarmTractor

No reason to scrap them. Iowa isn't too far from me. If you have any info on getting in contact with them, I would appreciate it. John

id="quote">
id="quote">Here ya go, John:http://edensltd.com/If that phone number doesn't work, let me know.

• 6 months later...

Al will be missed.

I saw an ad on craigslist and called. I went down to Anamosa and talked to Judy and purchased several attachments and parts.

I also love the 2 wheelers and here on the site you can find my L-1 and also have a Bready 2 wheeler and an old Blackhawk(?) that had an OE Briggs ZZ for power.

Mine are not show pieces, they get dirty and used around here