Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
expediter

Simplicity 7114

huffy

Welcome to the club. I do not know the answer to your question, but thought I'd point out that you'd be more likely to get a response if you posted your question in the "talking tractors" forum. It gets a lot more traffic, and I'm sure you'd get a response very quickly if you post the inquiry there.

Good luck,

Chris

expediter
Originally posted by expediter

Who know's what the letters stand for on my 7114 key switch? I see an A,L,S.B.R Also can I test the 7114's starter solenoid when it's off the tractor?[/quote Today I started my 7114 by jumping the solenoid.I drove in forward and back a few feet.I engaged and disengaged the mower control.The end result is the key switch for some reason is now working.The tractor starts normally.

steve-wis

Hi, and welcome to the club. Sometimes a solenoid will stick and then loosen up, maybe from corrosion inside. This can look like a bad switch. Also, the contacts in the switch can also become corroded. Either way, it sounds like you are ok for now. If it does this again, check for voltage to the solenoid when the switch is turned to start position, this will tell you if the key switch is sending power to it. If yes, bad solenoid, if no, bad switch. I would also clean all connections on switch and wiring and check your ground wire for good contact, a bad ground can cause lots of phantom problems.

Steve

rokon2813

Welcome to the club.

A 7114 should also have at least a couple safety switches.

1 in the shift linkage, a standard trans would have one under the seat, where the shift rod meets the rear end, or on a hydro trans, in the dash tower behind the forward reverse handle.

1 on the pto system, I think in the tunnel, activated by the handle.

Don't think the 7114 had a front pto handle, but if it does, there may be one on that handle too.

Possibly a seat safety switch also.

If any of those were not made when you were trying to start, it could cause your problem