Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ready for snow?

TimJr

OK, for all us northerners - who is ready for snow? I hope our east coast guys have been spared from the storms out there. I just swapped my mower to blower, weights and chains today. About 55* today, so it was alright to be out working on the Sovereign. Still need to pull the grader blade off my 717, and put the snow blade on it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brettw

• MikeES

• huffy

• BLT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't even start yet, still insulating the garage in preparation for the furnace coming first week of Dec. Need to remove dirt plow, mount chains, cab, and snowblower on Allis 810, change oil in both cars, rotate tires, and get back up snowblower running.

Am I late?

Steve

Mounted and loaded the Ags, painting the hard cab, getting ready to get the blower all hooked up, pull the deck for a facelift over the winter. Getting the SIL's 3415 setup with a plow and the weights and chains I had on mine. If it snows like it did last year, and we get the precipitation over the winter we had in the summer, I should just leave the deck on and forget about mounting the blower.

Yes! But first a question. What do folks use to lube the spout/chute? Mine is rather loose fitting. Do you use a grease between the chute and flange? What about the rotator shaft? Since there is a plastic bushing in there, I'm assuming a silicon would be OK? Appreciate your thoughts.

Nope, still sucking up leaves. Conversion from leafer to snowblower is usually done over Thanksgiving weekend. But since TG is early this year, conversion will probably be a week later.

Just mounted my snow plow and the sears tires w/chains. All done with leaves and grass cutting for this year. Trying to get some 25 lb. Olympic weights for the wheels. Other than that, I am ready....

I have the walk behind snow blower ready. Had the plow on the four wheeler but had to take it off today to help a neighbor get a deer out of the woods.

All the tractors are tucked away for winter, with bounce dryer sheets and decon scattered all around. Just need to top off the tanks with fuel and seafoam.

I tried the tractor and snow blower but just couldn't get used to it so back to the 4 wheeler I went.

I have the thrower and cab on the B-10 and the blade on the Big-10.

I have the B-10 tires loaded,I'll load the Big-10's this Sunday.

I'm building a rack to store my mower decks and and other accessories I started loading it up and decided I had better make it twice the size I planed.

I put my new to me 42" blower on my newer Sovereign two weeks ago already because I had time one Saturday afternoon. Tractor and blower are all greased, my Command repower from Al Eden got its first oil change and is now filled with Amsoil 10W30 small engine oil and has an Amsoil filter and I installed a new Gates belt from Napa. Haven't put the tire chains on yet, but can do that in a few minutes when (if) they finally start calling for snow. Have two cans of gas treated with Sea Foam ready. Now, it probably won't snow this winter.

I actually mowed the lawn with my old Sovereign after I had the blower on the new Sovereign. Sure is silly for me to even have one Sovereign size tractor for my yard, but I have to admit that having two is really handy sometimes, especially if blowing or mowing season comes up on you quickly...you can always have one tractor ready!

I'm with Bill, still sucking up leaves in south-central Pa.

Besides, it always more fun putting the blower and cab on when its 29° bundled up, gloves on, .... :D

If I could ever get around to re-furbing the 718H into the mowing tractor, I'd be able to have the snow team ready before leaf season is over.

I have the 46" two stage blower, chains, weights and the hard cab on my 25hp Sunstar all year (dedicated tractors are great) and just need to pop a battery in it to make it ready to go. I also have the 6' blade on my 1951 Co-op E-4 farm tractor with two sets of weights though I do need to change the oil before long so I feel I am close to ready.

Dan

I don't have a cab on my B-10 but would really like to see some detailed pics of what others have om their B-10 or Landlord 2010. Are they factory or home made?

Thanks

Bob

Here's a pic I snagged from the site some time ago. OEM soft cab frame. Gives you an idea what the skeleton looks like. Styles varied a little bit, but can usually be adapted. Tubing used is close to 1/2" conduit in size.

cab mount 1.jpg

Pretty sure the tractor in the picture was Smilin Sams when the pic was taken.Search the archives also, I know there were a couple of threads on cab mounting

I think if you lub the shute to much, it won't stsy where you want ti to. MY 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by tripleguy

Yes! But first a question. What do folks use to lube the spout/chute? Mine is rather loose fitting. Do you use a grease between the chute and flange? What about the rotator shaft? Since there is a plastic bushing in there, I'm assuming a silicon would be OK? Appreciate your thoughts.

id="quote">
id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Nope, still sucking up leaves. Conversion from leafer to snowblower is usually done over Thanksgiving weekend. But since TG is early this year, conversion will probably be a week later.

id="quote">
id="quote">Well Bill,If it snows in Langhorne, I guess I'll get it up here in Green Lane!My wheel weights should be here from Il , next week!Chains and plow are on the 4212 (from last winter), working on the themower spindles all summer. Now working on the gas line.Wayne

We stopped picking up leafs in October, so I've had the 6212 ready for the snow since. 60#'s in both rears, blower, chains, and engine cooling air blocking plates installed (it usually gets a bit cold here), oil is changed. Heck, i've been going out to the garage once a week just to start it because it looks so lonely sitting there being disappointed everytime I open the garage door and it doesn't get to go out.....

I use a few drops of 80/90 gear oil on the spout where it rotates, and the control rod bushings. True, a well oiled spout might creep around on it's own, but that's easier to deal with than a sticky one that won't turn quick enough when the wind is blowing all that snow back in your face!!

LOL. No snow up here in Maine yet, But I have put this hole weekend into my b1 and b112 to get ready for the winter. I still got to get my 3410 ready.

My freshly rebuilt 7114 K321 is purring like a kitten after it's 5 hour break-in oil change. :D This weekend I'm going to add RV antifreeze fluid to my spare set of roller-chained front turf tires, and will un-bury the single stage blower from all the junk piled on it in the corner of the barn to lube it up and wax the auger and chute. Rear wheel weights are on year round so I'll just have to add the rear counterweight and tire chains. I'm still shopping CL and E-bay for a hard-to-come-by cab for it, to avoid the abominable snowman experience this winter if at all possible. No storms in sight for northern New England though.

This is beginning to sound like a thread that was started about ten years ago when everybody said they were lubed up, oiled up, mechanically sound and couldn't wait to attack winter. Well that season was brutal on everything, kinda like taking a knife to a gunfight. Towards the end of February, members were saying, enough is enough. I don't look forward toward it, but try to handle what mother nature throws at me.

I got the trusty 3212H and 42" blower ready to go, rear counter weight, oil added to hydro lift, anti carb freeze cover on. Could use a new belt on the blower after 9 years, but hoping for one more year. Want to get a blower for the newly aquired Sunstar, but waited too long and am not going to pay 600 and up for a blower when I only paid 600 for the tractor. Last year I think I only used it once so it's mother natures time this year, bring it on...

Got the AC713S with the mower and vacuum for the leaves, and sitting right beside it is the AC716H with a 48 inch spring-trip blade. Also beside them is my EF1D loader/backhoe. Think I can handle a snow and the leaves. When the leaves are gone, I think the 713S is going to get a snowblower instead of the mower and vac. That is more than enough for a Virginia winter.