Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front wheel side play - how much should there be?

mroman59

I have the front end of my tractor jacked up and noticed 1/4 inch side play on both tires. There are three washers in addition to the retaining clip. I was just wondering how much play should there typically be on any design. Since they are both the same I was wondering it is normal or both are worn. I could add additional washers if needed.

Thoughts appreciated

Mike

It's a push together bearing system; the bigger you push, the smaller you play. And the set collar leaves a nick on the shaft (sand it) preventing bearing remove easily. But you go in there, loosen collar, push, tighten collar. Not a perfect system - or is it? Play in worn bearings also a factor. I re-greased mine; but need to replace bearings, tune-up steering parts. Have sloppy floppy wheels sometimes. It's amusing. But no problems. Also curious about the 'poor man's power steering' trick (ref. GLPointon) :D

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121649&SearchTerms=thrust

quote: But you go in there, loosen collar, push, tighten collar. Not a perfect system - or is it? Play in worn bearings also a factor. I re-greased mine; but need to replace bearingsid="quote">
id="quote">

Wheels move find, no bearing problem at all IMHO. When you slide the tire on the shaft there are three washers involved. If I add an additional washer it will take out some sideways play, i.e. when you pull it straight out. There is no wobble in the wheel at all that would suggest a bad bearing or collar.

Maybe the amount of movement is normal, just not sure.

If you jack up your tractor front end and pull outward on your front tire, how much can you pull it outward before it stops? That is the question. I get 1/4 inch I think would be too much.

Mike

quote:What tractor are you working on?id="quote">
id="quote">

Its a DGT6000 Craftsman, model 917.276120. So anything could be poor design or wearing, IMO. Its not like my 7117H. I am trying to beef up all the steering components this winter. Its just for cutting grass, but I want to improve the design so it will last. Other than the steering components, it seams to be a decent heavy duty garden tractor.

Thanks,

MR

I think those have bushings, not tapered bearings. Also it has a snap ring or C ring in a groove, not the slide on caps like the old fdt's had. If that is the case, I would add a couple of washers so there is a minimum of side play. My Allis 810GT has bushings, not tapered bearings, and it has maybe 1/16 inch of side play, not sure how many washers are used, but there is one on the outside and then more on the inside.

Steve

quote: If that is the case, I would add a couple of washers so there is a minimum of side play.id="quote">
id="quote">

As far as I can tell from the parts diagram

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/Model-917276120/0247/1509200/P0404121/00004?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=917276120

this tractor has one washer on the outside and two on the inside. I have not taken the tire off yet. I will see what I can do to get it down to near 1/16 inch side play.

Thanks Steve

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to get to tire play problem and all it took was adding a couple of the right thickness washers to eliminate the side play. One tire is perfect with no play and spins well. The other has slight 1/16 inch play. I was just using washers I had laying around the house. I have more washers to try, but may have to make a trip up to hardware store if I want all the play out.

I rebuilt the steering in my DGT6000 using brass bushings where they had plastic and modified their design to secure the secondary gear in place. The gears fit nice and tight together and should last for ever now. The orignal design was poor engineering or cheap parts to save money.

I took the tie rod, which was all one piece and cut off the ball joints and had machine shop put threads on and installed new ball joints. Now when one goes bad I wont have to replace the whole rod.

I will do the same with the drag link and that should remove the remaining play in steering wheel.