Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

16hp Briggs starters

rich_kildow

I am in need of a new starter on my 7116. I've had it apart and found that the armature was chipped. I was able clean it up, scrape out the armature "valleys" (not sure what they are called) and revived it for a while. It is starting to sound horrible again and it is time to replace it before it won't start when I need to blow snow.

There looks to be about 3 different price points on starters: OEM for $110-$150, PMDD/Megafire for about $60, and a bunch on Ebay for around $40. Does anybody have any input or experience on these lower price point starters?

I know that anything other than OEM Briggs could be a gamble. I'm hoping to repower this tractor with an 18hp from either smallenginewarehouse or Edens LTD next spring, so this is just a stopgap to get me through to that point.

Kenh

Watch the length of the starter. I bought what I thought was the correct starter for my 7116 and found that only about half the gear is engaged in the ring gear. Works OK until it gets cold out and the engine turns over hard. I stripped two gears so far. I think the shaft on the starter is the problem.

Ken

rich_kildow

I bought one of the el cheapo ones off ebay due to hopefully repowering this spring. Cost was about $40 shipped and it arrived quickly. Everything bolted up fine and I did check the length. Scared me a bit when I cranked it the first time after the install since it has always been sluggish so cranking regularly caught me off guard. She is all ready to go now with the cab and refinished blower installed, power chute adjust wired into the cab and the weights/chains on.