Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fay Pope (Roy's Wife)Updated 4/8/13

HubbardRA

On Sunday, my wife Becky got a phone call from Fay Pope (Roy's wife). She was in Virginia visiting their daughter (about 30 miles from here). She and Becky decided to meet yesterday for lunch in King George, which is about half way between the two homes. They met at the same restaurant that Roy and I met for breakfast when he was alive.Here is a picture of Becky and Fay. Becky is on the left and Fay on the right. Normally Becky is the shortest person in the room, since she is only 4'9", but not in this picture. Becky says she actually feels tall when she is with Fay.

BeckyFay.jpg

Fay says she is doing well now, but it was hard at first. There were several things that happened to the house not long after Roy died. First thing was during a long rain storm, water started coming into the garage on the end of the house. She called two contractors in town and both wanted outrageous prices that she could not affort. She said she picked up a shovel and went out side and started digging some small ditches to direct the water around the house. It worked and she has not had a problem since.Next thing that happened was that a section of the ceiling in the kitchen fell. There had been a crack for quite a while but they hadn't fixed it. She had to hire someone to fix that.Then the water heater sprung a leak. That put water all over the floor in the basement. Part of the basement had been carpeted, so all the carpet had to be removed so the basement could dry out and not develop mold. She said that now, after all these things are over, she is doing well. She said she wished she could get on the site and talk directly with some of us, especially the guys in the chatroom, but she and computers do not get along very well.She was lucky and found a bus service that travels from their home town in TN to Washington D.C. where her daughter picked her up. It only cost $45. That is less than the cost of gas and much easier for her than driving that far.Fay says thank you for all the love that was given to Roy, and all of your prayers for the family.I just thought some of you would like to know how she is doing since Roy passed.

BeckyFay.jpg.fb2acfb6acc6c6fa1280634e98805f53.jpg

That's great to hear, Rod.dOddOd

Fay has always been a good sport when it came to Roy's tractor fun. I think she might have been having more fun than Roy. LOL:D:D

Thanks Rod for letting us know how fay is doing. I think I recognize the place where that picture was taken...The resuarant in King George, Va. it had a bakery right next door. great food. jh

Rod, thanks for sharing the news.

Whenever I'm on this site I always think of Roy; I wish I had met him personally, but it was not to be.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

Just for grins,I took a trip down memory lane. Do a search for "OWHN".:D:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep, did the search. cool reading

I really admire the interwoven sense of community and "family" amongst the patrons of this club. Its as if the old time sense of community that was once a normal staple of small town and rural America has been ressurected from its would be grave in some way.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to let you all know that Fay was back in this area again last week. She and Becky had lunch again. I think the only reason they met was so that Fay could get away from her daughter Mary and the kids for a little while. Fay is doing well, even though she is still in Tennessee, her daughter Mary is here in VA, and her son Morgan recently got married and moved to Florida.Fay is joining in some local groups to help occupy her time. She is currently remodeling one of the bathrooms in their house. Becky says Fay seems to be coping with Roy's death and moving on with her life. She seems to want to carry on alone for as long as she can.Here is a picture of the two of them at the same restaurant as before.

FayBecky.jpg

FayBecky.jpg.b967bfa3fa2b35236baad716ee71bbdb.jpg

Good she was able to do things on her own to keep things going. Maybe in part from seeing how Roy was able to keep the tractors running and experience with the Club and its members.