Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Part out a 7117, or worth fixing?

mbsengineer

I recently acquired a 7117 in a 2 tractor deal. I also got a 7119. The 7119 was running, but the 7117 wasn't. The guy told me it ran as recently as last summer (summer of 2011), but he had carb issues. He said he bought another used carb, but that didn't fix the problem. (he gave me the old carb with the deal) However, when I purchased them, there was no battery in the 7117, so I couldn't even verify if it turned over. (well, I guess I COULD have otherwise, but didn't) Now I'm regretting that decision, as the other day I hooked up a battery, only to hear the solenoid engage ... and that's it. I then disconnected the "drive train" only to find out that the engine won't turn free. I'm thinking it's a little more than a carb issue. :(

It was always my intention to sell this machine, regardless of its condition. However, I certainly hoped I could fix the "carb issue" with minimal cost and time, and sell a nice, fully functional machine. Now that my plan doesn't seem reasonable, I'm looking for advice.

Furthermore, from the posts I've read on here, it seems not too many people are fond of the KT series engines. Therefore, I'm wondering what would probably be my best course of action ... should I just part it out as-is (most of the parts would be solid), or should I put the time and energy into messing with the engine, and then selling a complete machine?

I guess another way of asking the same question is ... how much do you think a very average condition 7117 is worth as a running tractor with a plow, mower deck, weights and chains?

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance! dOd

Don't give up too quickly on the 7117. Can you roll the engine over by hand...it may be just a little stuck, spray pentrating oil into the spark plug hole, leave the plugs out and put a wrench or bar on the crankshaft. It may also be hydraulicly lock (pistons or crankcase overfilled with gas, oil, or water.

I have found that most carb issues with theses engines is a slipped governor arm. I have fixed 2 of these by going through the govenor set up and they ran just fine.

Does this 7117 have hydraulic lift?

It will not turn over by hand. I will try the idea of shooting some oil into the cylinders ... you just mean something like WD-40 right?

It does have hydro lift. Based on the play in the valve, I'm not confident it will work 100%, but it is installed, and all the parts are there.

i had one last year it ran good when i mowed the yard i put it in the garage that night and the next day it wouldnt start only to find that gas had leaked into the engine and filled the crankcase and the heads. when i pulled the plugs out and hit the starter it shot gas 4 feet in the air.something to check good luck

These twin KT have been known to leak gas into the cylinders, and lock up. I also have both the 19, and the 17, and like them. Both of mine have an inline fuel shut installed to prevent this from happening again. Try turning it over without plugs installed, making sure you do not have spark present near plug hole (can you say flame thrower).

Any large frame tractor is worth fixing. Most of mine have risen from just a pile of parts from several different tractors. People tend to give me parts that they are going to throw away, and I turn them back into tractors. I have never had a Simplicity or AC tractor that was fully functional when I got it.

also check oil level, gas may have leaked into crankcase and has it fill full also

Again highly recommend putting shut off valve on the Kohler twins. AND USE IT whenever you get off tractor

What's the issue with these that makes them so susceptible to fuel leakage into the crankcase while at rest (thus the fuel shutoff)?? Is it a fuel pump or carb issue, or something else? I assume it's an issue with one of these parts, and if that's the case, it's a wonder Kohler didn't correct it at some point. ... or is in an issue that just requires years and years of deterioration to begin? Just wondering. So far everyone recommends a fuel shut-off, but this this avoids the fault, and doesn't fix it. Just curious if anyone actually knows the fault in case I feel like correcting that.

BTW, I still haven't had time to pull the plugs and try to turn it over. Perhaps today.

My experience is that if its a decent looking later 7117 with the hydraulic lift option, the best route to take is part the engine out and repower the chasis with a single cylinder Briggs or Kohler.

The KT blocks have value, especially if there is no holes in either half. I used to be able to fetch up to $300 in pieces for the engies parted out. Same engine is used in both Cub Cadets and Deere products, so there is demand for parts beyond Simplicity and AC.

The tractor chasis is already pre drilled to mount Briggs cast iron blocks 10hp-16hp as well as all the Kohler K Series and magnum singles with the flanged foot pans like used on Simpliity and AC garden tractors. The only things needed are throttle, choke cables of the right length, and an appropriate muffler for the engine/tractor, and maybe a different driveshaft depending..

I really like using the 900/7100 series tractors with hydrolifts. Got 2 right now , both updated with power steering. Wouldnt mind a third, if I had room:p

I have had and have both the single cylinder Briggs / Kohlers, and the Kohler twins. I must say, the old singles are great engines, but the twins are so much smoother. They are definitely thirstier however. The KT's have a bad rap, somewhat deserved. They have a low oil capacity, and that ends up being their downfall. If oil level is maintained I do not believe there is any more issue than any other engine. Briggs that I have known over the years, just seem to be, for the most part, indestructible. But after having both, I would always opt for the twins. I have not had the luxury of a Vanguard or Command, but again, if I did I still think twins are the way to go. Unless you are looking for original correct power, I like the twins.

JMHO

We have a salvage yard several miles from home,They parts out

old garden tractors, I called them one day to see if they

had a beveled gear box. They told me they never parts out

any A/C garden tractors,they said there all repairable they

had Salvage parts for everything but an A/C.

quote:Originally posted by Willy

We have a salvage yard several miles from home,They parts out old garden tractors, I called them one day to see if theyhad a beveled gear box. They told me they never parts out any A/C garden tractors,they said there all repairable theyhad Salvage parts for everything but an A/C.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's funny!