Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

junk deere 318

stevenb210

im workig on a john deere 318 for my neighbor the starter went bad so i took it off and she got it rebuilt and it has an onan i pulled the motor and now i got it back together but the motor wont turn over now i tried turning it by hand but it wont turn but an inch it feels like its hiting something i was wondering if any one knows what it could be

Couple simple things. Have you tried taking the starter off and see if it'll turn. Also unhook it from anything else if you've put it back in the mower. You do have as many tools as you started with, right? Might have left something under the tin somewhere.

B110guy

i checked the starter it is like the drive shaft if hung up on something should the drive shart slide a little cause when i pulled the motor i just slid it back and held it so the side and the motor slid back a little the i had trouble slidig it forward like it was hittig something

If the starter was rebuilt and tested OK before put back in and if you took out the motor and it turned over OK before you worked on it, it sounds like it may not have been put together correctly after. If the motor wasn't taken apart, it may not be too hard to find what is interfering now. You could take the starter off and see if it and the motor both turn OK shile apart, and if so put them back together and see if they turn OK while in neutral. Do you have a manual for it?

It ain't the Deere its the mechanic those starters on Onans need to be adjusted its not just bolt it on.Another Hint always bench test a starter on the engine to make sure it works correctly before reinstalling it in a tractor.

The 318 is one of the better ones they made and in away I wouldn`t mind having one. They have front hydraulics. I would do as suggested above an recheck the work performed on it.

got it the drive shaft came uhooked o the back. i wouldnt mind haveig one if they had more room to work o them in the havehyery drolic lines running every where