Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

^)^ 606 Wonderboy RER Winter Project

Tacey

Hi guys from an old time poster.

I recently bought a Wonderboy circa 1964 rear-engine rider to fix up this winter. It's a runner that needs a lot of TLC. I plan to use it to cut grass next spring, so I want to make this right. One immediate need is a right-rear wheel and tire. At one time the owner replaced the pin that holds the wheel and used too small diameter pin. The wheel wallered itself out so I need a replacement. I posted a classified ad in the classifieds. I'm posting this here to see if anyone has or knows of a parts source for these old machines. Mine also has the little three-blade deck.

Im still running my Landlored 3410 and my 6211 Broadmoor II. Love this old iron!

Tacey

What model is the mower? I have two wonderboys and the wheels aren't pinned on, they are three bolt wheels that bolt to a hub.

Steve

It's manufacturer # 9903329 called 606 Wonder-Boy Super per a frame plate and what's left of a sticker on the rear hood. The wheel has a shaft on the inboard side that slides over the axle. The wheel is then pinned to the axle.

Mfg. no. 990329, 606 super. The extra 3 in your mfg. number had me guessing. I have had the same problem with rear wheels on yeoman tractors. I work in a machine shop so I usually make a tube that slips over the wheel tube, about a 1/4 to 3/8 wall thickness, with the proper hole in it. I slip it over the wheel tube and position it so the pin goes thru the new hole in the sleeve and the old hole in the wheel, then weld the sleeve onto the wheel tube. A machine shop can make you a set of sleeves for not alot of money if you wanted to go that way. Welding up the wheel tube is also a way to go, my problem has been that the hole is not easily redrilled on alot of wheels because the hole is close to the wheel center and not easily accessable. The sleeve fix eliminates the need to drill it on the wheel.

Steve

Thanks for the replies Steve and bigten! Good suggestions. I'm hoping to find a replacement wheel but I doubt I'll find one.

Sorry for the extra "3" Steve. The old eyes aren't what they once were. My Wonder-Boy looks like the one featured in the 1964 brochure as posted on the SimpletrACtors site.

www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1964/ft_cover.JPG

I'm going to clean, repair and paint the 606. It sat outside for quite a while and has much surface rust. The mower deck spindles were pretty much frozen, but have loosened up with some oiling. It will need some new belts, but overall it seems solid. The old Briggs single horizontal crank putts along nicely. This mower has been well used and abused, but that makes the resurrection all the more fun.

Tacey

You will like mowing with it. I have a 575 stick steer and a 400 with steering wheel, they both are fun to drive. Good luck with your project, post some pics when you get into it!Steve

mini-100_0363_edited.JPG

mini-100_0363_edited.JPG.1284a3a5dc8e3ebc1f17b466d3a396b0.JPG

Nice rig Steve!

Each of these has old tractors has it's own style and functionality. I marvel at the design and engineering it takes to create these things. And the lawn stripes rock!

The deck is in parts and cleaned and oiled. Getting the time to continue the project is the biggest challenge.

I can't post pix till I pay the ten bucks dues. Life has gotten in the way of simpletrACtors. Which sucks!

sm01

Tacey